No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn’t be surprised to see y’all have a 160” deer next, maybe even the first pic of the 10 with the kicker. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Hoping to shoot this guy this weekend, a couple of doe, and maybe a blackbuck doe.

Weather channel is showing 2-4 inches of rain/sleet/snow for tomorrow...fingers crossed! Hoping to have some snow pictures to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        Hoping to shoot this guy this weekend, a couple of doe, and maybe a blackbuck doe.

Weather channel is showing 2-4 inches of rain/sleet/snow for tomorrow...fingers crossed! Hoping to have some snow pictures to share.

Good luck and looking forward to pics.

Comment

We got 1.2in overnight. Hopefully we will get another 1-3in today. This is the first 1/2in or more of rainfall that we have received since September 9th. We are hoping we can get 2.5-3in total as that would help tremendously!

Comment

Everything helps moisture wise. Sadly, it takes 10" of snow to equal 1" of rain
            I've enjoyed your thread, thanks for sharing it. Good luck on the cull and take some snow pics.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
              Everything helps moisture wise. Sadly, it takes 10" of snow to equal 1" of rain
              I've enjoyed your thread, thanks for sharing it. Good luck on the cull and take some snow pics.
              Wow! I had no idea! It's still pouring out there so I bet we will end up with 2.5in of rain and then maybe an inch of snow when it's all said and done. Whatever moisture we can get, we'll take it. I'm just happy to know we don't need to water the trees this trip.

Comment

We’ve gotten just below 2in of rain before it started snowing. It’s coming down and is supposed to continue for another 4-5 hours.

Comment

Comment

Beautiful Pics.

Comment

We ended up getting 1.9in of rain and 2in of snow so around 2.15in of total precipitation. We needed this badly!

We are still after that 8pt cull buck and another doe for this weekend. Will provide updates. Setting all the raccoon traps tonight. We caught 5 raccoons two weekends ago.

Here are the feed totals for 2020:
                      Protein - 32,350lbs
                      Cottonseed - 5,800lbs
                      Corn - 10,400lbs
                      2020 Total Rainfall - 21.5in (2.5in below average)

We hammered the deer herd and blackbuck herd this year to help lower the feed bill and seeded 15 acres of native forbs and grasses. We still have another 3 deer to shoot. We are going to try to lower the amount of corn we are feeding and use that $ toward more protein since corn doesn’t offer as much benefits as protein or cottonseed. With our post season deer counts I calculate that we should feed around 20,000lbs of protein, 6,000lbs of cottonseed, and 6,000lbs of corn for 2021 but it all depends on rainfall. We were on track to feed around 24,000lbs of protein this year but we didn’t get any rain for nearly 3 months so the deer didn’t have many acorns or food plots so they hit the protein a lot harder this fall. We are hoping to remove another 10-15 acres of cedars in certain areas and will experiment with the cedar blanket treatment and see if grasses and forbs respond quicker than dozing.

Comment

We ended up getting 1.9in of rain and 2in of snow so around 2.15in of total precipitation. We needed this badly!

We are still after that 8pt cull buck and another doe for this weekend. Will provide updates. Setting all the raccoon traps tonight. We caught 5 raccoons two weekends ago.

Protein - 32,350lbs
                        Cottonseed - 5,800lbs
                        Corn - 10,400lbs

We hammered the deer herd and blackbuck herd this year to help lower the feed bill and seeded 15 acres of native forbs and grasses. We still have another 3 deer to shoot. We are going to try to lower the amount of corn we are feeding and use that $ toward more protein since corn doesn’t offer as much benefits as protein or cottonseed. With our post season deer counts I calculate that we should feed around 20,000lbs of protein, 6,000lbs of cottonseed, and 6,000lbs of corn for 2021 but it all depends on rainfall. We were on track to feed around 24,000lbs of protein this year but we didn’t get any rain for nearly 3 months so the deer didn’t have many acorns or food plots so they hit the protein a lot harder this fall. We are hoping to remove another 10-15 acres of cedars in certain areas and will experiment with the cedar blanket treatment and see if grasses and forbs respond quicker than dozing.

I try not to add up all the things I put into hunting, then thinking of the pounds of meat taken.
                        I always tell the kids to eat up and enjoy because its probably the most expensive meal they will eat.[emoji16][emoji1787]
                        Beautiful pics of the snow. Always wanted to hunt in the snow.

Comment

Protein - 32,350lbs
                          Cottonseed - 5,800lbs
                          Corn - 10,400lbs

Would you say your herd benefits the most from the protein or cotton seed more? Overall body health and antler growth being considered. We are low fence menard county off Waddell.

Comment

They both have their place but if I had to choose one I would choose protein pellets. I believe protein pellets have a lot to do with the overall health of our deer herd. We are seeing bucks dressing out over 150lbs, which is really big especially for our area. Cottonseed is great and is more cost effective but it doesn’t have the micro nutrients and vitamins. We like to feed both just in case an older buck is dominating a protein feeder then a younger buck, doe, or fawn can eat out of the cottonseed feeders and still get something to eat.

Comment

Has anyone spray painted these IBC totes? I was looking at Krylon Fusion spray paint but after researching there are a lot of people that say the paint can leach through the plastic and to not paint them. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Just want to make sure the one we use for a trough doesn’t get algae inside.
                              We don’t paint ours at all. We make a frame with 2x4’s around the top middle and bottom. Then we attach 6 inch cedar fence pickets to that just like a residential fence. Then make a frame for the top and skin it with corrugated tin. We have also done them in corrugated on the sides as well. Both work great and have had zero problems with algae. Your place and deer look great. Let me know if you need pics and I can get some next time I’m at the ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by stxslayer View Post
                                We don’t paint ours at all. We make a frame with 2x4’s around the top middle and bottom. Then we attach 6 inch cedar fence pickets to that just like a residential fence. Then make a frame for the top and skin it with corrugated tin. We have also done them in corrugated on the sides as well. Both work great and have had zero problems with algae. Your place and deer look great. Let me know if you need pics and I can get some next time I’m at the ranch.
                                Thanks! I’m hoping to buy another tote so we can use one as a water source for deer and use the other to water the trees as well as fill the tote water trough.

Comment

Working...
                                X