No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, that’ll be fun burning all those piles!! Looking good!

Comment

Just getting better! Congrats!

Comment

Work looks really good, smooth clean dirt work. Them
        Piles will burn nicely

Comment

Drone Pictures - 3-19-2020

We were at the ranch this past week to start burning a lot of the cedar piles.
          We probably burned 25 brush piles and still have another 30 to 40 piles left.
          It's been a very wet March, which is great! Here are some pictures from this past week after we had the dozer come out and clear cedars.

Here are some pictures of the 5-acre cedar thicket that we had cleared:
          [ATTACH]996390[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996391[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996392[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996393[/ATTACH]
          As you can see, the dozer guy left all mesquites, oaks, and left some cedars here and there to ensure that it isn't a wide open field so deer and other wildlife still use the area. I seeded half of this area with the Turner TX Perennial Native Seed Mix.

Here are two pictures that show the new clearings around one of our gun blinds. We had him widen the current clearings and lengthened one clearing to 250 yards. We seeded these areas with the same native seed mixture.
          [ATTACH]996394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996395[/ATTACH]

The new "smaller" pond is finally filling up. This picture was taken before we got another 0.5in of rain yesterday and more rain today. It was around 12ft deep in this picture and has another 10-12ft to go.
          [ATTACH]996396[/ATTACH]

This is a picture that shows the thick area that runs through the middle of our property.
          [ATTACH]996397[/ATTACH]

Comment

Lookin’ good! Loving the drone shots to show progress! I’m guessing you are still liking the drone! Keep us updated on all the progress out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              Lookin’ good! Loving the drone shots to show progress! I’m guessing you are still liking the drone! Keep us updated on all the progress out there!
              The drone is working great except I'm having some USB connectivity issues. I've reached out to the manufacturer to see if it's the controller or if i need a new cable. Other than that it's worked great!

Comment

3/19/2020 Pictures

The protein and cottonseed consumption has gone way down over the past two weeks due to all of the rain and the native forage/food plots. The food plots are really coming on - the wheat is around 7in tall and the burr clover and silver river clovers are popping up everywhere. We are seeing wood sorrell, spreading sida, engelmann daisy, bush sunflower and snoutbean everywhere as well among other beneficial forbs, which are all great food for deer.

[ATTACH]996490[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996491[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996492[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996493[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]996498[/ATTACH]

It looks like we got another inch of rain today so I'm hoping all of that native seed we broadcasted will do well over the next couple of years.

Comment

3/23/20 Update

We received 1.5in of rain in the past two days and our small pond is almost filled up (about 2 more feet to go until full). We've gotten 5.6in of rain for the month of March. This is the wettest March we've ever had since owning the property (end of 2011). I hope everyone else is getting these nice timely rains.

Small Pond:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3621 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	24612585

Large Pond:

Name:	IMG_3622 (Large).jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	24612586

Comment

Great to hear y’all are getting rain! Ponds are looking good.

Comment

3/25/2020 Update

We caught another bobcat on a snare:

Name:	Bobcat (Large).jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	24612651

Comment

3/26/20 Update

We found one of the sheds from this pretty 3yr old:

Name:	IMG_3673 (Large).jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	24612751

Name:	IMG_3675 (Large).jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	24612752

Name:	IMG_3672 (Large).jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	24612753

Here are some measurements = G1-3.5in; G2-8.5in; G3-8.5in

This is one of the bucks we are looking forward to seeing in 2 to 3 years.

Comment

Beautiful buck! It’s always good to get some hard data to compare against trail camera pictures. Trains your eyes

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            We caught another bobcat on a snare:

[ATTACH]996900[/ATTACH]

How in the world did it do that to itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                              How in the world did it do that to itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I'm not sure. We've caught two bobcats on the snares, both around the neck, and they both ended up the same way. I'm guessing they get caught around the neck and jump up and around and somehow get caught in the fence.

Comment

Y’all have an apron on that fence?
                                Do you place cameras on the “slides “
                                Before you set snares to see what is using them ?

Crazy how that cat ended up!

Comment

Working...
                                X