Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/1/2017 Update

Here's a quick update on this past weekend. We shot two cull bucks, a 4.5yr old 8pt and a 6.5/7.5yr old 8pt with a couple of kickers/drop tine:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	24478072
    We have pictures of this buck for the past 5 years and he has never been great in the antler department, but a cool buck regardless.

The food plots are still really short, but they are still getting hammered. Here are some pictures of the plots. We received 1/2in of rain today out there, so that should help.

Name:	DSCN1882 (Large).jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	24478078

Name:	DSCN1930 (Large).jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	24478076

Name:	DSCN1917 (Large).jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24478077

We put out about 1,000lbs of cottonseed, 1,500lbs of protein and 1,200lbs of corn. Hopefully this will help these post rut bucks put the weight back on.

Name:	IMG_1173 (Large).jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24478073

Name:	DSCN1936 (Large).jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	24478075

Name:	IMG_1174 (Large).jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	24478074

Name:	IMG_1090 (Large).jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	24478079

As for the total 2016-17 kill counts, we shot 7 does and 2 culls. We had a lot of 2.5yr to 4.5yr olds that are really nice. I'm assuming the main reason we didn't have many trophies this year was due to the 2011 drought. Let's hope we continue to get good rainfall and hopefully we and the neighbors can continue to keep the deer numbers down to help improve the habitat. We are hoping for an even better year next year.

Comment

Do any of you guys know of anyone that will do cedar clearing? We are looking to see what the price difference is between using a dozer or a cedar mulching machine. I like the cedar mulching machines, but they are very expensive and I wasn't sure they justify the cost or not. If anyone has any experience in this, please let me know your thoughts.

Comment

I know mulching is popular, but I really don't like it compared to grubbing. With mulching, you leave all the cedar mulch spread all over the place. I prefer grubbing with whatever means (skid steer, tractor bucket...) and then run a burn through to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
          I know mulching is popular, but I really don't like it compared to grubbing. With mulching, you leave all the cedar mulch spread all over the place. I prefer grubbing with whatever means (skid steer, tractor bucket...) and then run a burn through to clean up.
          We would like to clear more lanes through the cedars and push over a lot of the dead cedars. How much is a dozer or a grubbed for an entire weekend? We want to clear about 10-12 acres total for now.

Comment

I also thought the Cedar mulch helps protect the soil and add organic matter, which is great for our area since we have thin rocky soils in some areas. Again, just not sure the cost justifies mulching the cedars or not. If any of y'all know cost on using a bobcat with shear or a cedar grubber, please let me know how much we are talking and how much they can clear in a day.

Comment

We got 0.8in of rain this morning. I hope that will help the food plots, but not sure it's going to matter since we just put cows back on the place today. Oh well...

Comment

Question: how many pounds of cotton seed is in that one round makeshift feeder? How long does that last before they eat it all up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  Well they definitely won't grow if we can't get any rain. I'm hoping we get some in the next 7-10 days.
                  been there and done that - you are totally correct - no rain no plot - if you get rain then gold mine

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    Question: how many pounds of cotton seed is in that one round makeshift feeder? How long does that last before they eat it all up

Our cottonseed feeders (2inX4in fencing) hold about 300lbs. When we first started feeding cottonseed, it took two months for them to eat it. Now that they are used to it, they will eat it all in one month or less along with eating protein and corn. This time of year, they normally eat it very quickly because the bucks are recovering from the rut and because there's not much to eat out there right now other than our fall food plots (wheat fields).

Comment

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                      Our cottonseed feeders (2inX4in fencing) hold about 300lbs. When we first started feeding cottonseed, it took two months for them to eat it. Now that they are used to it, they will eat it all in one month or less along with eating protein and corn. This time of year, they normally eat it very quickly because the bucks are recovering from the rut and because there's not much to eat out there right now other than our fall food plots (wheat fields).

Thanks for info. How much is it per 50#?

Also is it cottonseed "hulls" and do you know the protein %? Sorry I'm ignorant on it but it looks cheaper than buying a $800 feeder plus protein at $10-$11 a bag

Last edited by EastTexasMan; 01-02-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

For the Brush mulching question I charge $800 a day. That's a bobcat sized mulcher. It's hard to tell you how much will get done in a day without seeing size of cedars. I will say this. No one has ever been unimpressed with amount accomplished in given time. Also have a tree shear and yes you can cut and stack a lot in a day but then you have the burn piles. On stuff I do for myself I usually mulch just for the reason of not having to deal with burning. You are more than welcome to send me a pm or call/text 979-215-8807 and will do my best to answer any questions.

Comment

I have a place about 10 miles from the Gleaton place and would love to have a full day of Cedar mulching done on my pasture. If Gleaton wants to book you for one day then I could book you for the next to make the trip from your home base worth while. Keep me posted and if you guys want to work something out that can be done. Also, if you needed a place to stay between jobs, I would be more than happy to host you for the night, I'll even through in dinner over the open fire!

Comment

Cedar Mulching

Here is a picture that shows the size of the cedars (around 5 to 7ft tall):

Name:	DSCN1900 (Large).jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	24478176

Here are the three areas we would want to clear:

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24478177

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24478178

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24478179

I would say that around 40% of these clearings are cedars that died from the 2011 drought. Does any of this information help you estimate the amount you can clear in a day? I understand that this would be an estimate and we wouldn't hold you to it because I'm sure there are a lot of other factors that play into the speed. I hope we can work something out.

Comment

Another Picture of Cedar Height for Clearning/Mulching

Here's another picture of the sizes of the majority of the living cedars:

Name:	DSCN9956 (Large).jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24478180

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                                Thanks for info. How much is it per 50#?

Also is it cottonseed "hulls" and do you know the protein %? Sorry I'm ignorant on it but it looks cheaper than buying a $800 feeder plus protein at $10-$11 a bag

We buy it by the truckload. It ranges anywhere from $270 to $320 a ton, which is still quite a bit cheaper than protein and yes these cages are way cheaper than a protein feeder. If you are looking at buying a protein feeder, check out Krivoman feeders. Another plus is that raccoons and other non-target animals won't eat it. We purchase cottonseed, not cottonseed hulls.

As you can see below, cottonseed is great for post rut, spring and summer time. It's a feed high in fat, energy and protein. We feed along with protein so the deer herd can still get all of the other beneficial minerals and we normally feed it from the end of December through May/June. We feed protein year-round.

Cottonseed:
                                Gross Energy - 5.39 Kcal/g
                                Crude Protein - 22%
                                Fat - 17%

Chopped Alfalfa:
                                Gross Energy - 4.25 Kcal/g
                                Crude Protein - 19%
                                Fat - 2%

Protein Pellets:
                                Gross Energy - 4.19 Kcal/g
                                Crude Protein - 20%
                                Fat - 2%