No protein...AT ALL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No protein...AT ALL!

We are a little greener here than normal, but my deer are not hitting the protein at all. Same feeder, same location, all but two of the same deer, and NOTHING EATING PROTEIN AT ALL! I haven't had a single deer on camera in 3 weeks.
    Any thoughts?

Like you said it's greener and they are going for the forbs growing. It's like you having too pick a green salad over cardboard tasting health food, no brainer.

I'd cut back on the protein but keep it available. They'll still eat it if they are in the vicinity of the feeder.

Comment

Man that's a blessing! If they aren't eating the protein that means they are getting all they need from the native browse. Protein is a supplement not a regular food source. I would count my blessings and save the extra dime. They will eat it again when it is needed in the summer.

Comment

Good news here I believe. They will get back on it when it dry's up and the heat kicks in.

Comment

I don't have anything to compare previous years consumption but since Mid January I have fed maybe 1200 lbs of protein. I am sure the deer aren't hitting it like they will be later when things dry up. Like others have said protein is a supplement feed not a replacement feed. They have been hitting the mineral pretty good as well I have noticed.

Comment

same! Very rare sightings at feeders now

Comment

I have fed exactly 1/2 the protein this yr. compared to last year here in La..

Comment

Ditto all the above...not much use.

I was walking around my native pasture the other day and noticed it was just full of clover. I didn't plant it and it was everywhere.....probably 10 acres of it. Lots for them to eat right now.

Comment

My protein consumption actually picked up some over the last few weeks as compared to the last 2 months. Additionally, my food plots were getting a little high and rank and now they looked like have been mowed. I thought the neighbor's cows had broken in, but it was all deer based on the pictures.

Comment

Well, I can tell you this - it isn't going to make me mad if I show up at te lease Friday and consumption is down. After the last 4 years, we deserve a break from the feed bill. I'm hauling my newly built timed/free choice protein feeder to the lease expecting that there will be feed still in the feeders and when they run empty, I'll fill the new one.

Comment

I went Sunday to my e tx place and it is slow eating there also...

Comment

I think we are going to have a bumper crop of spring forage this year much like the bumper crop of acorns most of us dealt with through this past season. I have high hopes and expectations for this years bucks. And fawn survival ought to be very good, healthy well fed mommas and lots of new growth to hide in

Comment

I noticed last weekend that they have really cut back on how hard they are hitting our food plots as well.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

No protein...AT ALL!

One can only hope the deer will let up, but I'm not that optimistic. I recently looked up on my yearly credit card statement how much money I spent on feeding deer last year......yikes!!
                              Last edited by Kdog; 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X