Cottonseed experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the above.

I tried a little bit last year that the rancher gave me and they ate it. I bought a half ton this year to give it a better test. Given the relatively small herd size, that may be all I need along with Protein.

I put it out next to my protein feeder in January and they've eaten a bit of it but not hammered it. I didn't expect much usage from the CS or Protein as it's EXTEMELY green on the entire place. Clover is growing everywhere and the rancher has planted oats and rye which blew up with our wet and mild winter.

Once the horns drop, I expect the usage to pick up.

Comment

One of our members fed some last year and the deer took to it pretty quick. We found out that cottonseed is a major component of the protein we have been using so we are hoping the deer will take to it pretty well. All we can do is try and learn from our experiences. Either way, we are having a blast doing it!

Comment

I'm just home from the ranch and saw where deer were eating CS perhaps heavier than protein. I have CS by every protein feeder and though we just started about 3 weeks ago the CS feeders were half empty. That with as green conditions as I've seen in a while this time of year.

Been feeding CS about 4 yrs now.

Comment

I think once they take that dive and start eating it they seem to like it as well or better than any other supplemental feed source. I think it's probably a texture thing but it seems that they truly like the flavor.

Comment

where did you get those bens?

Comment

They look like crates for water totes to me.

Comment

any pics over that feeder? Never seen it fed that way

Comment

yep^ with a little added chicken wire

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    where did you get those bens?
                    Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    They look like crates for water totes to me.
                    Yes they are the crates for water totes. No need to put chicken wire or v-mesh around them. As soon as we pulled the chicken wire, the deer started tearing the cottonseed up. The tote holds between 1,000 - 1,200lbs of cottonseed.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      Yes let me dig one up

Comment

Comment

That is awesome. Those look like recent pictures. How long was the chicken wire on them before you pulled it off? Nice looking deer.

Comment

Originally posted by stxslayer View Post
                            That is awesome. Those look like recent pictures. How long was the chicken wire on them before you pulled it off? Nice looking deer.
                            About 3 months. I had chalked it up to heavy rain promoting good natural vegetation and it being our first year to feed it. After 3 months of them not hitting it, I decided to pull the wire off all of our cottonseed feeders. They immediately started hammering it.

Comment

what you pay per ton?

Comment

what you pay per ton?
                                Just over $250/ton

Comment

Working...
                                X