X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen Material

Anyone use this type of fencing for a feeder pen to keep cows out
    Attached Files

Our cows loved "testing" fences by leaning on them. You would need a bunch of T posts. We also had a cows that loved to jump our fence. No idea where it learned it but it knew how. I think this would be to flimsy if they leaned and bent it down they could climb over.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
      Our cows loved "testing" fences by leaning on them. You would need a bunch of T posts. We also had a cows that loved to jump our fence. No idea where it learned it but it knew how. I think this would be to flimsy if they leaned and bent it down they could climb over.
      10-4, I will probably use panels or barb wire

Comment

We have used it and never had any trouble with cattle. Use it on all our protein feeders with no issues. We tried it with corn feeders an hogs tore it up

Comment

Stretched tight with big corners and with a single barbed wire strand it keeps cows and pigs out of my 2 acre food plot with a corn feeder inside.
          At least it looks like the same wire.

Comment

Depends on the cows if it will work. Some will learn to get over it. An option we had to go to in places was put a 4 strand barb wire fence around a much bigger perimeter than the smaller hog proof pen we make with bull panel.

I never liked putting a strand of barb wire above the panel fence as it became a bit of a fawn trap.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Depends on the cows if it will work. Some will learn to get over it. An option we had to go to in places was put a 4 strand barb wire fence around a much bigger perimeter than the smaller hog proof pen we make with bull panel.

I never liked putting a strand of barb wire above the panel fence as it became a bit of a fawn trap.
              Worried about that too so I put the barbed wire even with the top of the fence.
              Actually have seen more adults caught than fawns

BP

Comment

Didn't work on our place, went with hog panels 2 yrs ago and haven't had any problems since.

Comment

Have it on mine....

Comment

I use it. The cows took all of one day to lean on it push it down and step right in to the pen. I put up hog panels and haven't had that problem since.

Comment

Hog panels!! We had half cattle panels and half hog panels. We have since cut all the cattle panels down to hog panel height. We have 100+ cows on our place and never had one get in the pen. I would think that field wire could work if you had enough fence posts and build very good but hog panels just seem easier and not really that expensive.

Comment

Hog panels 34" x 16' run about $22 to $25 per panel...

Comment

i built one, first time i didnt have enough t posts and pigs tore it up, i put a couple more t posts and then the pigs tried to root it up. i ended up using tent stakes to stake down the bottom wire, works like a charm, deer feel comfortable inside. no issues with cows
                          Attached Files

Comment

pigs rooting up the fence. after this i put some extra tposts, took all the slack out of it and staked down the bottom wire. no problems since.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                              i ended up using tent stakes to stake down the bottom wire, works like a charm, deer feel comfortable inside. no issues with cows
                              The tent stakes work well. I've used them on the bottom of this wire to keep pigs from rooting it up. But as others have noted the real question is whether you've got cows that like to test the fencing. If so, this won't be adequate.

LWD

Comment

Working...
                              X