Krivoman Timed Protein Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krivoman Timed Protein Feeder

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of Krivomans timed protein feeders, does anyone wish they would have gone a different route ?

I have a plain 1000 lb Krivoman feeder and love it!

If you buy a timed protein feeder you are defeating the purpose of feeding protein...it's not an attractant like corn

Comment

I am going timed since I can not get to the lease as often as I would like to check feeders. Any protein has to be better than none

Comment

They are critter proof for real closes and will not shake out when the pigs bump it
        I'm saving up to get one

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by jpatt13 View Post
          Any protein has to be better than none
          Not by much!

It will only be eaten by the dominant animals then. I suggest buying a bigger feeder then

Comment

I plan on getting a 1500# feeder so it will last at least a month

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              Not by much!

It will only be eaten by the dominant animals then. I suggest buying a bigger feeder then

This is incorrect. This is a free choice feeder. You can just close it at night if you want to. So it is free choice while open. If it is open all day long, not likely a dominant deer is going to stand there all day long and guard it. It's not like the spinner type that despenses a small amount hen goes empty. It is free choice and each as much as they want while it is open. It just trains them to eat during daylight vs dark. If so desired. If you want it open 24hrs a day you Can do that too.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatt13 View Post
                Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of Krivomans timed protein feeders, does anyone wish they would have gone a different route ?
                Love mine. Before I had it, the axis would gorge all night, and you would never see them at the feeder. Now, they hang out waiting for it to open!

Comment

Not by much!

It also depends on how much you are feeding. If you are feeding 10# a day, I can see how a few dominant deer would nudge out the others. But if you are feeding 50# a day, there would have to be a LOT of dominant deer to keep the rest from eating at least some amount of feed. A deer supposedly eats 2#-3# a day. I think it is safe to say that we all understand that feeding full free-choice is the best. But what if my budget only allows 80% of that? Should I not bother because I'm "defeating the purpose"? No. And contrary to the above statement, protein is not necessary for antler development after September, therefore, it IS an attractant used by many.

Krivoman's timed protein feeder gives you the ability to manage your feed for the various times of the year and in a way that no other can, provided you want or need that ability. If you have the $$$ to never let your feeder run dry, well, kudos to you. But if your feeder is empty for 1 day out of 7 or 5 days a month, either way, you are rationing your feed just the same and you should recognize that and don't claim to feed free-choice.

I mean no disrespect in this reply and it is not directed at anyone in particular. I just get tired of the same old "feed 'em free choice or don't waste your money" remarks that people make based on the wallet they are sitting on...or their daddy is sitting on...or their paid hunters are sitting on. Protein feeding is not just for the rich and famous. The average Joe wants to do what he/she can for the betterment of the deer, too, and we shouldn't look down our noses at their abilities or efforts.

Comment

Thinking that i need about 10 of them thar timed protein feeder deals

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                      This is incorrect. This is a free choice feeder. You can just close it at night if you want to. So it is free choice while open. If it is open all day long, not likely a dominant deer is going to stand there all day long and guard it. It's not like the spinner type that despenses a small amount hen goes empty. It is free choice and each as much as they want while it is open. It just trains them to eat during daylight vs dark. If so desired. If you want it open 24hrs a day you Can do that too.
                      This is exactly what I am hoping for, do you ship your feeders or pick up only ?

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                        I was referring to the timed feeders not free choice.

As far as the timed protein feeder if it is set for 4-5 seconds it will then close for the rest of the day after that much feed has been dispersed. Is that correct?

Or can you leave it open during daylight and it will close automatically at night? If so I need to get one of these if it will close during NON-daylight hours and be free choice all day
                        Last edited by gingib; 12-18-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                          It also depends on how much you are feeding. If you are feeding 10# a day, I can see how a few dominant deer would nudge out the others. But if you are feeding 50# a day, there would have to be a LOT of dominant deer to keep the rest from eating at least some amount of feed. A deer supposedly eats 2#-3# a day. I think it is safe to say that we all understand that feeding full free-choice is the best. But what if my budget only allows 80% of that? Should I not bother because I'm "defeating the purpose"? No. And contrary to the above statement, protein is not necessary for antler development after September, therefore, it IS an attractant used by many.

Krivoman's timed protein feeder gives you the ability to manage your feed for the various times of the year and in a way that no other can, provided you want or need that ability. If you have the $$$ to never let your feeder run dry, well, kudos to you. But if your feeder is empty for 1 day out of 7 or 5 days a month, either way, you are rationing your feed just the same and you should recognize that and don't claim to feed free-choice.

I mean no disrespect in this reply and it is not directed at anyone in particular. I just get tired of the same old "feed 'em free choice or don't waste your money" remarks that people make based on the wallet they are sitting on...or their daddy is sitting on...or their paid hunters are sitting on. Protein feeding is not just for the rich and famous. The average Joe wants to do what he/she can for the betterment of the deer, too, and we shouldn't look down our noses at their abilities or efforts.
                          I agree with most of this. And fyi I hunt super low acreage(under 120) and use a Krivo free choice and love it.

It also boils down to are you using it as an attractant or to improve health, weight, antlers...?

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post

You are wrong. Feeding free choice and after September absolutley benefits the deer and antlers. Study after study after study tells us that feeding year gets bucks through the rut in better shape headed in to the next growing season. Not to mention fawn recruitment, doe fertility, etc. Several years ago you saw a bunch of managed ranches going to not feeding during the season due to making the deer nocturnal and harder to hunt. From what I see we are now seeing a reversal in that and many ranches are going back to year round.

Comment

I agree with most of this. And fyi I hunt super low acreage(under 120) and use a Krivo free choice and love it.

It also boils down to are you using it as an attractant or to improve health, weight, antlers...?
                              I hunt on 20K acres low fence and we have several of these running. We have a mandatory feeding program February-September to assist with herd health and antler development. We have also found that if you do not continue to feed at least some during October-January as an attractant, deer will find protein elsewhere...likely at your neighbor's feeder.

Some hunters have the budget to feed 500# a month, some can feed 1000# a month, some can afford a ton a month. But under most circumstances, even a ton a month is less than the deer will eat on our ranch, if given the opportunity. So, some just put their feed out and when the feeder runs dry, the deer move out until the feeder is refilled. Some of us use the timed Krivo to ration the feed so that not a day goes by where there is not at least some protein being fed. I know of guys feeding 10# twice a day and others that feed free choice only during daylight hours.

Mitch makes a really good feeder and he has improved his line by adding the option of a timed unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X