Can I freeze acorns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I freeze acorns?

I gathered about 5 gallons of huge white oak, red and sawtooth acorns. I was going to put some out by my stand for this weekends hunt. But can I save some for later in the season by freezing or just keep them dry in a bucket? How long will they last? Still have a lot falling from the two trees I gathered them from. Maybe try planting some of them in the Spring, should I put them in soil now?

not sure about the planting part but i looked at a website that sells them in bulk. it said to freeze them if you're not using them. i sealed mine with a food saver and froze them.

Comment

I have messed with acrons the last few years, and it's been hit and miss. Definately yes on keeping them in soil if you want to plant. you can read online about different techniques like keeping moist in the fridge for red oak species, etc. but to me i feel it's best to try to keep them in a natural environment (soil). I do try to keep them moist in soil throughout the winter months. Also, don't poke them way down into the soil either, not even half way really, they'll germinate in the spring.

Comment

God does!

Comment

Plant them now!!! If you place the acorns in small 1 gallon cans / buckets, soak the acorns 24 hours in water before planting, they will germinate fast. Make sure there are not any worm holes in the acorn, otherwise it will not sprout. Once they sprout, they will grow all winter if you keep indoors where they will not freeze. This gives a jump start. Livestock will eat the tops off the oaks, so if you plant have the trees protected.

To preserve, you may want to place in a Ziplock type bag in the refrigerator versus the freezer, they may lose some scent being "freeze dried" and not sealed?

Comment

you can do anything you put your mind to

Comment

Can I freeze acorns?

What acorns you want to save to plant, put in water to see if they float or sink. It's not a guarantee but typically the ones that float are less likely to be viable. I have Red Oak, Burr Oak, Mexican Plum and Persimmon seed in zip lock bags with damp paper towels in the fridge right now. Bags are not sealed shut. I'll leave them in there until probably January before I put them in root maker pots to grow.
              Last edited by Roscoe; 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Yes u can freeze them. And u can milk anything that has nipples!

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                  Focker is that you?

Comment

Thanks for the info and the laughs. How long does an acorn stay good for just sitting on the ground or in a bucket?

Comment

If you want to freeze your nuts...then you have my blessing.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck just storing them in tubs and 5 gallon buckets. Last 2 years Ive had them last through the end of the season. I feed a gallon bucket of them with a 5 gallon bucket of corn weekly at my spots.

Comment

Put them in the fridge with a perlite/spanghum moss mixture and keep them moist. They will sprout after a while but the roots will grow very slowly until you are ready to plant in the spring. I have done this many times and had great success getting them to germinate. Freezing will kill most acorn varieties.

Most of the websites that say freeze them are talking about for eating not planting.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            The hell you can!

Comment

Plant them next to the pea gravel feeder and sprinkle chicken poo around them.

Do not put vanilla directly on the acorn. It will severely stunt their growth.

Comment

Working...
                              X