• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tooth wear quiz answers

Per 5 years of observations on these deer the answers to the quizzes are:

Quiz 1 : 7 1/2
    Quiz 2 : 8 1/2
    Quiz 3 : 6 1/2

Thanks for playing. Lots of good lessons in the answers. In all cases the 4th molar was worn down, and deer 1 & 2 should progressive wear on molar 5 and 6. Deer 3 was essentially text book, 1&2 had small differences. Shoot straight.

Thanks for posting...I really enjoy threads like those and/or pretty much anything deer related.

Comment

Agreed, great threads.

Comment

Thanks for posting I'm still learning to age deer

Comment

There is such a big difference between #1 and #3 for only being a year apart.

Interesting!

How positive are you of there ages?

Comment

Thanks for the info. The jaws that I have seen between 7-10 or older have so much in common they are really hard for me to guess/judge.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
              There is such a big difference between #1 and #3 for only being a year apart.

Interesting!

How positive are you of there ages?
              I have a very high confidence on their ages from seeing them thru half a decade. On the 6 1/2 I have followed him since he was a yearling.

Comment

Learning

Originally posted by millman View Post
                Thanks for the info. The jaws that I have seen between 7-10 or older have so much in common they are really hard for me to guess/judge.
                I think this is an excellent learning. Teeth are just a tool and they have some ambiguity between right or left sides of an individual deer and between different deer and their diets. Not an exact science by any means. The one common trait I have seen in my deer is they by and large have the dished molar when they are 6 on one side or both. When we shoot sure enough culls at what we believe to be 4 or 5 they almost never have a dished out tooth on either side.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
                  I have a very high confidence on their ages from seeing them thru half a decade. On the 6 1/2 I have followed him since he was a yearling.
                  This is great stuff!

DO more!

Comment

Thanks for the info good examples.

Comment

Thank you for posting these!

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
                        I think this is an excellent learning. Teeth are just a tool and they have some ambiguity between right or left sides of an individual deer and between different deer and their diets. Not an exact science by any means. The one common trait I have seen in my deer is they by and large have the dished molar when they are 6 on one side or both. When we shoot sure enough culls at what we believe to be 4 or 5 they almost never have a dished out tooth on either side.
                        Yep, same here on the dishing. All learning tools add data in the bank and the more that you can string together the better for understanding down the road.....I have hunted in several regions and have had to try and learn new wear in each. Just another factor I guess.

Thanks again for posting the threads.

Comment

i liked that post!

Comment

Working...
                          X