Another Age question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Age question

We saw this deer last year and he hasn't put on much antler, if any.

What are your thoughts on age?
    Attached Files

Nobody??

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Shoot

Comment

Old enough.

Comment

Comment

Ground check him

Comment

Comment

5+ and won't put on much antler next year either.

Comment

As far as will he put on more antler, that depends on where you are. If the nutrition is available he will grow. I met a guy that manages one of the biggest low fence ranches in STX. They don't cull until a deer reaches 5.5. They harvest at 7.5. There's no genetic breeding program or protein feeders but they have 19 of the most protein rich natural food sources for deer on the property and harvest 170-190 inch deer every year. They have good genes on the property and good nutrition and on top of that they let the deer grow up. So like I said it just depends on where you are, size of property, hunting pressure, etc.
                        good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JY6 View Post
                          As far as will he put on more antler, that depends on where you are. If the nutrition is available he will grow. I met a guy that manages one of the biggest low fence ranches in STX. They don't cull until a deer reaches 5.5. They harvest at 7.5. There's no genetic breeding program or protein feeders but they have 19 of the most protein rich natural food sources for deer on the property and harvest 170-190 inch deer every year. They have good genes on the property and good nutrition and on top of that they let the deer grow up. So like I said it just depends on where you are, size of property, hunting pressure, etc.
                          good luck.

Not quit that fortunate. Second year on 2500 acres SW Sutton County with minimum pressure managing for the best we can. Supplement feeding and decent browse are what we have to offer. This is one of those deer that we are trying to figure out if he will grow or just is what he is. Hate to make a management decision on a wide 10 point, so the more opinions on a questionable deer the more data we can add.

Comment

5 year old deer

Comment

I say 4.5 and say shoot him.

Comment

Working...
                              X