Fawns and Does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fawns and Does

So I plan to shoot a doe at my first opportunity, but the group of three does that are regulars at my feeder appear to be three different ages.
    How can I tell if the littlest one still needs momma to survive?
    I haven't seen any indication that it's still on milk.
    What do I look for to age does?

at this time of year they are pretty much weaned and safe to live without their mother. At least this is what tpwd sais. I took a doe last year that had 2 yearlings with her. They both made it fine and still come to the same feeder.

Comment

If the fawn still has spots then I would let the bigger doe walk, I usually look for one that is all by herself, but I agree with JackFlash, if the fawn is eating corn it will likely be fine

Comment

I would think that smallest one in the pic is old enough to take care of itself.

Comment

Pick the biggest doe and release an arrow. That is all.

The fawns will do fine without their mom.

Comment

No spots=fair game

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Thanks. Backstrap next weekend!!!

Comment

tender meat

Comment

Pick the smallest if you want to keep the breeding stock and have the tenderest cuts the biggest if you want more cuts. As for the fawn in the pic.....looks healthy and will survive without momma.

Comment

Regardless of having a fawn or not, are there certain characteristics to look for when deciding which does to take out of the herd? Just got MLD tags for first time. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoomfish View Post
                      Regardless of having a fawn or not, are there certain characteristics to look for when deciding which does to take out of the herd? Just got MLD tags for first time. Thanks!
                      The same characteristics to age bucks you can use to age does.

Comment

shoot the stomper and blowers first, i dont care how old they are. If you are looking at my in my stand funny, and stomping, your gonna get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          shoot the stomper and blowers first, i dont care how old they are. If you are looking at my in my stand funny, and stomping, your gonna get it.
                          I like the way you think!

Comment

Working...
                          X