No announcement yet.

Food Plot - Gonna give it a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest several cages and a camera. I planted oats wheat and assorted seeds this year.
    My Leon county deer keep my three one acres plus patchs mowed down
    I spent the money and sweat to hog proof one this year and the deer are actuall bedding in it at night.

BP

Comment

Nice! They are liking the kale.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        I suggest several cages and a camera. I planted oats wheat and assorted seeds this year.
        My Leon county deer keep my three one acres plus patchs mowed down
        I spent the money and sweat to hog proof one this year and the deer are actuall bedding in it at night.

BP
        I agree BP. I didnt put cages up at first cause I had no idea if it was even going to grow or how much. Now that there is some growth I think a cage or two may be in order just to see what happens. I had a camera for the plot but it got used elsewhere on the ranch. Time to pick up another strickly for plot watching.

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Nice! They are liking the kale.
        Thanks Uncle. I think so too. At least one seems to be into it. I am sure with a little time more will join in once they learn what it is.

Comment

The kale looks good. Defiantly going to try it next year.

Comment

good job! looks great! gonna have some good deer soon! They go where the food is!

Comment

So happy it all came up. It should be a hot spot all the way till summer. Need to get a game camera out there.

Comment

Was wanting to try some plots. Just as an attractant. Deer wouldn't touch the corn this year. Acorns had them invisible. What kind of winter, spring, summer and fall mix should I use? Not trying to spend Tecomate money, just something to bring them in and keep them in.

Comment

Originally posted by CornForHorns View Post
                  Was wanting to try some plots. Just as an attractant. Deer wouldn't touch the corn this year. Acorns had them invisible. What kind of winter, spring, summer and fall mix should I use? Not trying to spend Tecomate money, just something to bring them in and keep them in.
                  Your guess is as good as mine. If you read through this thread, you would see this is my first rodeo with food plots. There are several other threads on this forum that discuss the topic. Might try reading over them to get an idea.

Comment

Just looking general knowledge. Since you have none. Anyone? Just don't need a ranch or millionaire response

Comment

Originally posted by CornForHorns View Post
                      Just looking general knowledge. Since you have none. Anyone? Just don't need a ranch or millionaire response
                      You basically have cool season and warm season plots. Cereal grains (wheat, oats, cereal rye) are the mainstay of fall plots. Clover, chicory, brassicas (turnips, radishes, kale) are great to mix in with the cereal grains. Most all can be bought at your local feed store or ordered on line. Cereal grains run roughly $15-$25 per 50# bag which will plant ~ 1 acre.

Warm season plots are great with soybeans/cow peas/sunflowers. They will run $35-$50 per 50# bag which will plant~ an acre.

That's as basic and as cheap as you can get.

Comment

Thank ya. Definitely gonna try it out

Comment

Well the folks went up to the ranch this past weekend and brought back some game cam pictures. Looks like we have some promising upcoming bucks for next season. The pictures had dwindled down by the end of season and now these guys showed up. Also have a couple groups of does that have moved in.

They are definitely grazing through the plot. It still isn't real thick yet, but its been cold. Mom says the Kale is coming in pretty good. Can't really see it in the pics, but says it is pretty thick when you walk out in the plot and look. I can't wait until it starts really growing with a little warmer weather. Gotta make a run soon to throw some 13-13-13 to help boost it along.

Also got some decent pics from the feeder near my bow stand, we haven't seen any of these bucks before. Hopefully they all stick around.
                          Attached Files

Comment

You got some good bucks heading into next season!

Comment

Agreed, I think you will have some studs next year. Glad the Kale is coming up, curious how they take to it. They seem to not really eat my Kale, but they love it from Uncle Fish. I wonder if the acidity of soil has any result in taste for them. It's getting ate, just not much. They seem to prefer Oats, than Kale at my place.

Good luck on the deer next year, and expanding the operation.

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I need to figure out pretty quick what I want to plant for a Spring plot. Gonna let the fall plot do its thing until this fall.

Already got the green light from Mom to plant whatever, wherever, and how ever big I want in the pasture for this Spring. It's her place so I had to at least run it by her before making up my own mind. The other side of the pasture where I am thinking of planting stays much more damp than this location. So hopefully that will help aid in keeping it from drying out late spring and through summer. Just gotta figure out what I am going to plant. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X