No announcement yet.

Food Plot - Gonna give it a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the pointers. I will definitely keep them in mind and give them a shot. Our tractor is a 32 HP 4x4 with clutch, not hydro-static. I know it will take a few seasons for the deer to figure it out. And being that last fall my plot didn't do well at all. Our spring plot grew up tall, but I believe the rain stopped early in the season and nothing seeded. No peas, sorgum, or soybeans. The only thing that seeded were the few sunflowers that grew. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rye and oats come up well. I will wait for them to sprout and possibly get some more fert to top dress with some N several weeks after emergence and right before some rain.

Comment

Looking good. I really need to get a cultipacker, plots look so good afterwards and I bet that firm seed bed is way better for clover seed.

I think this year, you are planting ... what a month before last time. I bet your plots do great. And I would bet big plot #2 is the preferred plot once they find both.

Comment

Looks good! Hope you get some rain soon....you got some good stuff in the ground!

Comment

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the kind words. Now I think I got the planting sequence right, especially for this soil. Like EastTexun said, its like planting at the beach, but then again much of it after hitting it with the packer is like UF described it, like talcom powder.

So here is what we did. Disc, throw Rye/Oats, pack(ran over plot twice to get best results), then threw the chicory/kale, and then clover.

With as powdery as the soil was I think the chicory/kale/clover got good contact. After throwing it all I couldnt see much seed. Hopefully the rain comes and we get good results. I think I may try adding some weight to the packer this next planting. Or try to rig up a drag again behind the disc to knock the humps down so the packer is more effective on the first pass. Still got plenty of learnin to do.

Comment

Still waiting on moisture a little bit further North of you, probably going to plant this weekend either way.
            Had a guy tell me there was an old saying "plant in the dust and your bins will bust", couldn't get much more dust so according to that I should have a bumper crop

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              Still waiting on moisture a little bit further North of you, probably going to plant this weekend either way.
              Had a guy tell me there was an old saying "plant in the dust and your bins will bust", couldn't get much more dust so according to that I should have a bumper crop
              I hope that's true. I planted 2 weeks ago, and it's still dusty. Every time there is rain in forecast it goes from 60% chance to 20%. We need to get out of the drought, soon!

Comment

So of course one of the weekends I dont get to go to the ranch, I get a text from Mom. "Look what was at your feeder Friday morning". This is the first nice buck picture we have gotten so far since last season. Obviously its not the best picture, but by the rack it looks very similar to a split brow buck we had around last season.

I just hope he stays off the property behind us or he will certainly get shot. Last season there were lots of shots on that small strip of land. We have a very small population of deer as it is, with people who shoot everything they see it will stay that way. But just have to keep my fingers crossed and try to keep them coming to our place with food plots and feed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Up at the ranch and finally getting some good moisture. Its been raining pretty much since 8-9am from a light sprinkle to a heavy rain. But its all coming down in what I consider a really good soaking rain. Not a down pour all at once. Up to 1.25" since yesterday. If it stays at this pace I wouldnt mind another 1-2" over the weekend. Got some puddling but the sandy soil soaks it up pretty quick.

Also since I was here a few weeks ago we have gotten some more buck pictures. One other legal buck but they are all fairly young. Would guess the oldest at maybe 4. All the rest young bucks with their first or second good set of horns.
                  Last edited by Nailhead; 10-24-2015, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Are you out hunting in this rain? I figured this morning would be the best time, but only saw does. I hope the rain gets the Bucks on their feet.

I planted 2 weeks before season opener. Just saw some sprouts in the food plot. I assume we got a heavy dew or something down here this past week. This rain will really make it pop. I can't make it down, till opening gun. Can't wait to see what it looks like then.

Comment

Im in the tree now. Didnt hunt this morning. Since this mornings post we went and picked up the camera cards. We had several buck pictures so they are moving in. One buck which is a freak that i am actually a little excited about. Saw him when we first got the place in 2013. No mistaking him because his right antler is messed up. It grows out of the side of his head. I guessed him to be 2.5 that year. Was just a messed up little buck. Last year not much better. But this year, Wow! He really grew in body and antler. Ill see if I can get my phone to post a picture. We had heard the rut possibly started up here, but there was a bachelor group of 3 bucks at this feeder yesterday. We havent seen a deer at this feeder since probably January.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Nailhead; 10-24-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

So as an update for my records, over the weekend we got 2.75" of rain at the ranch and it was still sprinkling when we left. We won't get back up to the ranch until rifle opener. Forecast today shows good chances for an additional inch or so of rain over this coming weekend. I am anxious to see what comes up over the next 2 weeks. With all the fertilizer in the ground with the seed and the seed being down with it at the first hint of moisture. It should get a good dose and hopefully show some results. Also since the weather still really hasn't cooled off yet I think they will help give it a boost as well. Not hot, but not cold yet either. Should be good for initial growth I would think. i didn't go out and walk in the plots this weekend but my brother went out looking and said that he originally had seen some seed and after the showers we got the seed wasn't nearly as visible. So, that's a plus. With it being so powdery when we planted the seeds didn't sit up on top like they normally would. We can only hope the crows and dove didn't wipe out our seed over the past 3 weeks. Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping everyone's plots start turning out!

Comment

As an additional note, we have two big 6 points on our cameras now. Last year my step brother shot a 5 yr old wide 6 off our place. Now we have two, i am guessing one of them to be 3-4 years old and the larger to be at least 4. He is big barrel shouldered, but not showing a pot belly or a swayed back yet. So I am guessing about 4 with the smaller being a year behind. But their antlers are very similar. The bigger is a nice framed deer that's pretty symmetrical. I think we have some 6 point genetics around our place. Cause that's 3 maturing deer with similar frames. We seem to have a varying mix of characteristics. I'm just glad to see the bucks coming back into the area. They have stayed away until the past couple weeks.

Comment

If I were you, I would do everything you can to hunt this coming weekend over Halloween. Between Halloween and the first weekend in November the rut should blow up around us and you need to be there to see it. You are already seeing "the strangers" as I call them show up, and that will continue as the rut heats up. I have only hit it 2-3 times perfectly in the last 5-7 years, but when you hit it right, you could easily see 10+ bucks in a sitting. Just my 2 cents from more than a decade (seems like a long time) of hunting north Houston County.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                              If I were you, I would do everything you can to hunt this coming weekend over Halloween. Between Halloween and the first weekend in November the rut should blow up around us and you need to be there to see it. You are already seeing "the strangers" as I call them show up, and that will continue as the rut heats up. I have only hit it 2-3 times perfectly in the last 5-7 years, but when you hit it right, you could easily see 10+ bucks in a sitting. Just my 2 cents from more than a decade (seems like a long time) of hunting north Houston County.
                              That sounds like a really good idea. I may try and make a solo run up just to see what happens. Not sure I will make it, but will definitely try.

Comment

On the way to the ranch in my brother sends me this. Looks like the rye is really taking to the rain in the fertilizer. Really happy to see that big green patch.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X