Rymin Rye this yr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rymin Rye this yr

Just some things I found out due to little or no Elbon rye seed for this yr's food plots. My seed guy found me some rymin Rye seeds so I did a little research for comparison and I came up with this. Rymin does have some disease problems in the south sometimes with rust. But it is cold hardy and to reduce diseases add seeds to some older seeds left over from last yr. My son found some of last yr's Elbon Rye seeds from a seed store in Jacksonville Tx, where he said he had 150 sks left and we bought some at $17.00 per bag. We will be mixing it with our Rymin seeds. And in doing the research I ran across this study from Purdue University. Rye grain is 85 to 90% feeding value to corn and contains more digestible protein nutrients over oats. It is the most winter hardy and does best when mixed with other small grains like wheat and red clovers. And as I have said in other post, the oats I planted last yr both Spike and buck forage oats browned out early last yr due to the colder winter in N E Texas. if I only planted oats last yr I would have had no food plots for the deer. And the deer on my place really like the rye grains. But I will still be planting some oats in my mix of rye and wheat

I did same research. One thing also I found was Rhymin rye not recommended south of I-20 which I am. I am getting Elbon from my local mill at $29.00 per 50lb bag. I am going to confirm it is this yr seed. Because of price and because I need so much I changed my formula to 100lbs/acre wheat and 50 lbs acre rye basically reversing ratio from originally planned.
    I buy from Petrus Feed and Seed, Alexandria, La.

Comment

I'm going to plant Rhymin this year too because its all I can find. I figure with the abnormally cold winter we are expecting this year it will do just fine.

We shall see.

Comment

Working...
      X