roundup ready soybeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roundup ready soybeans

Ok I know it is winter plot time but I am trying to plan on next spring already. I have a couple of questions:
    How often can you spray the soybeans with round up? At what stage in their growing cycle? Can you just spray before you plant or right after. How successful have ya'll been in using these. I can irrigate and fertilize but I have a problem with coastal and weed getting in the plot because I water it.

roundup before they go in and then right after you plant and anytime you want

Comment

Planted them this past summer. I'm on the fence about them. I'm in the same situation as you with the coastal issue. You can spray every 10 days is what I have heard. We sprayed I think 3 times this past summer. The soybeans don't grow as big as normal soybeans either, they are engineered for production thus producing a lot of beans. Deer are taking to them real good though. Seem to be eating them more and more as the summer progresses. I will look at putting in a pre-emergent next spring in hopes of keeping the coastal at bay. One food plot that was only 4 acres they completely ate them to the ground about a month ago. We are not committed to put up a high fence around the food plots so I'm not sure what we will do there next season. I hope this helps

Comment

Being able to irrigate will help you greatly. I love round up ready crops, but I found that I didn't get much bang for my buck because it is too dry here. Just follow the label on the roundup. I'm not sure that a pre-emergent will help with coastal. I don't know much about it but I thought that was to keep seeds from germinating. Coastal is coming back from the roots. That is what makes it so hard to kill. I think repeated applications of roundup would eventually kill it, but it may creep in from surrounding areas. Ask your AgriLife extension agent about pre-emergent. Too expensive if it doesn't work, but it would help with weeds.

Comment

Great info Thanks guys. I am undecided on fencing it until later in the summer. I have another plot that I can plant peas in for early spring. If the beans get mature will the deer still eat them to the ground? We have moderate numbers of deer in the area.

Comment

If they are truly Roundup ready you can apply Roundup at any stage of the plants life.

Comment

Working...
            X