unclefish and other food plotters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unclefish and other food plotters

Mr Unclefish, I read some of your post in the QDMA where you seeded and then pushed and or cut the grain for use as a covering thatch for replanting your next rotation crop. I understood you went with a much heavier seeding rate and did get a stand. I think it was a jungle seed mix. So I am asking what u think about this situation? I have 3 eaglebrand soybean food plots that has been feeding deer day and night since July 1. Some of these beans are so tall I have deer in one plot where u have to look real close to see the deer in the beans. Other 2 plots have barley kept up with the forage but they continue to produce and the deer continue to be in the plots day and night. Beans are covered in flowers and should produce some good amounts of pods. I am not sure how I want to approach this next step, so I think u might have some experience here and would like your opinion. I am not sure how to approach this. but I will spread the Rye seed (over seed) among the beans just before fall rains and hope they take, which will save the been seed pods for eating later, or to use your method of seeding and cut the beans for a covering thatch, but concerned the beans might produce to much thatch and would reduce sprouting. I could cut and disk in the beans and then plant the rye Grain, but lose the bean seed pods. So what do u think? I will have other food plots for winter but I like to keep a lot available. I will have about 13 acres +- in 1 to 2.5 acrea plots here on E Texas property. I was hoping to post this here and not pm as I hoped others would learn from my trial and errors

I'm no help here but curious to where yall get all your seeds?

Comment

This is what I'm going to do with my eagle seed beans. I'm cutting and baling it once the pods are close to mature and then cultipacking buck forage oats with imperial clover in the field. I'll distribute the small square bales by each feeder until I run out

Comment

If you are going to get bean pods, I wouldn't cut. Just overseed with a rye/clover mix in late September. You could mix in some brassicas also.

Comment

Yea I shoulda mentioned that the field of beans I'm cutting is turning strictly into clover plot w/oats in fall winter for the next coming years.

Comment

Interesting delimma. I would probably leave the bean pods alone and let the deer eat the pods on into the winter. Especially if you have lots of bean pods.

You can always overseed rye into the beans at any point since they will germinate at such low Temps (34 degrees).

Whatever you decide to do it will be a great trial run and will benefit this forum greatly with the results.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have enjoyed doing different things to see what happens next, and so I am guessing I will double the seeding rate of Rye to use the nitrogen soil bank provided from the soybeans. looks like the timing of the rye seeding may turn out to be the key. I am guessing I will seed when the soybeans yellow, at that time the deer will stop hitting them and if I get the rye seed on the ground before leaf drop, so seed will get to the dirt. And as far as the Brassicas, the deer have not touched them in yrs past. Turnips always looked great, but deer never touched the leaves and the bulb only a couple of times did they dig up a few took 1 bit and left them to rot. No interest in radish either. I will do 5 lbs of rape this yr just to see if any interest.
              Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                Thanks for the response. I have enjoyed doing different things to see what happens next, and so I am guessing I will double the seeding rate of Rye to use the nitrogen soil bank provided from the soybeans. looks like the timing of the rye seeding may turn out to be the key. I am guessing I will seed when the soybeans yellow, at that time the deer will stop hitting them and if I get the rye seed on the ground before leaf drop, so seed will get to the dirt. And as far as the Brassicas, the deer have not touched them in yrs past. Turnips always looked great, but deer never touched the leaves and the bulb only a couple of times did they dig up a few took 1 bit and left them to rot. No interest in radish either. I will do 5 lbs of rape this yr just to see if any interest.
                Anyone else?
                take a pic of your beans next chance you get and post up

Comment

Working...
                X