How Old is this buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post

How did yall get him to hold his ears the same for both Pictures?
    It was easy; I just asked him to........

Comment

Don't act like it's easy to age that deer with out History

How did yall get him to hold his ears the same for both Pictures?

Yeah you could call him 1.5 to 3 by that Picture. I agree he is a lot younger than he looks this yr. Just a very rough looking deer for his age.
      No nothing of the sort… he's an exception to the rule… I thought it was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        No nothing of the sort… he's an exception to the rule… I thought it was interesting.
        Very.

You just screwed up my whole yr on ageing the One's that just show Up Mid December

What year does Most of your deer normaly POP at?

Comment

Very.

You just screwed up my whole yr on ageing the One's that just show Up Mid December

What year does Most of your deer normaly POP at?
          Man… I couldn't tell ya when MOST do… some are like this one and pop at 4… some 5… some 7… Some get big early then slide backwards before popping again…

This one is a pretty spectacular one though… He was a mainframe 7 pt… barely… at 2

Comment

Comment

With all the bucks, and big ones at that, its amazing that you can look at a yearling and be able to follow them each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                With all the bucks, and big ones at that, its amazing that you can look at a yearling and be able to follow them each year.
                Almost always you get them forensically…

"ooh that deer is cool wonder what he was last year"

The trick is to take so many pictures and have so much game cam pics archived that you have grabbed him…

Sometimes it just pops out at you like this one did… other times you have to really go hunt…

Yearlings are almost impossible to carry forward… I have a cool set of photos ill start another thread for… that is a yearling to 3… hopefully he lives and I can carry him to 7… he's headed towards being a 80's plus kind of deer… but he's probably only knocking on high 40's now.

This one just smacked us over the head… we had no idea that this buck was going to be something special… I remembered the forked brow tined deer from 2 years ago… but didn't really think much of what he was last year… They just come out of the ether

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  Man… I couldn't tell ya when MOST do… some are like this one and pop at 4… some 5… some 7… Some get big early then slide backwards before popping again…

This one is a pretty spectacular one though… He was a mainframe 7 pt… barely… at 2
                  Pretty Much the same as Mine. Thanks

Comment

Man I had that deer at 6.5 easy..... Guess I need to go back to school.

Comment

cool thread... Calloused knees can be indicative where he lives on the ranch. There's no doubt I would have guessed him older without having the historical data but knowing what we know now, you can go back and look at his face. still fairly slim / narrow V vs. that deep V... 99% of the time when our bucks are old they get a lot of depth in their face... Great deer, great photos and great schooling.

Comment

Got me! That floppy ear was tricky too. Cool educational moment!

Comment

4 or 5.

Brows look 6"+- from what I can tell.

Comment

I would've said 6 easy!! You never know unless you spend time with them!!

Comment

7ish

Comment

Old enough. Shoot'em

Comment

Working...
                                X