Rancher killing All the mesquite trees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancher killing All the mesquite trees.

I just got on a lease that the Rancher is poisoning all the Mesquite Trees. My question is has anyone had this happen to them and did it affect the deer population, hunting, ect?

Briscoe land?

Comment

that does'nt sound like a great idea...

Comment

You on a place south of brownwood?

In short if they are ariel spraying the mesquites over a large area to push them and clear a pasture for hay production it will not be good for hunting.

If they are just spot killing mesquites but leaving other trees and brush you could still be ok.

It all comes down to how much cover they leave on the place.
        Last edited by Sippy; 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I would say if they kill and clear all you are in trouble if they are just killing it should not be a big deal as long as there is still plenty of cover for them (deer) to feel comfortable

Comment

Two years ago the ranch across the fence did something to all the trees. This year they are pretty much dead. I guess good for me, for what deer would want to hang out there when they can cross the fence to see me.

Comment

We had 5000 acres in San Angelo with only one 600 acre patch of mesquite, the rest was cleared with very few trees. Never had a problem with out deer numbers.

Comment

I hunted a ranch in Archer County and another one in Throckmorton County where the rancher sprayed the mesquites. That is the reason I left both ranches. Hunted the Archer County one for two years after spraying, and hunted the Throckmorton County one for 3 years after spraying. Yes, it affected the deer numbers. Our pastures were dead mesquites, the neighbors weren't. The deer clearly preferred the non-sprayed pastures. 2,500 acres and 990 acres respectively. Ranchers say it doesn't affect the deer numbers, but they say that because they still want $10/acre for their property.

It's not totally worthless hunting, because with the right amount of corn thrown in the road, it will entice some deer to come back. However, I would negotiate a lower lease rate because the fact is that you deer are going to prefer thicker cover if they can find it.

Comment

I would ask for my money back.

Comment

They killed all the mesquite in the San Angelo State park a couple years ago it may of affected it some but the tough part is just there is no cover any where out there now. Bow hunting Is tough you stick out like a sore thumb in the tree's

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                      Briscoe land?

X2. He sprayed some on one pasture. Said it would help the deer hunting. Guess we will wait and see.

Comment

Hunted on a lease north of Ozona some years back and the rancher chained off large sections of mesquite every year. We gave it up after three years. Hunting got real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                          We had 5000 acres in San Angelo with only one 600 acre patch of mesquite, the rest was cleared with very few trees. Never had a problem with out deer numbers.

Hunted Bronte for years, Mackey Ranch, and I hunted a CRP field that fed into winter wheat. The deer would come out of the Mesquite in droves to get to the winter Wheat. Had many a doe walk within 10 yards of me and my golden retriever. No pop up, just sitting in a mesquite bush on the ground.

Comment

Our place was sprayed 7 years ago. A lot of standing dead mesquites. They were gonna clear it but haven't. The under growth is growing back now. It looks like total crap but the deer are still around and coming off the neighbors places. When our wheat is good the hunting is good. I'd much rather it be green and the deer would too. they wouldn't have to travel so far for our goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                              Briscoe land?
                              I hunt Briscoe property in McMullen County and he sprayed a couple of areas recently on our place and the pasture next to us. His cowboys told us that he does this so he can see his cattle easier from the helicopter come round up time. He says that his cows get down in those thick areas and they cant see them so they cant herd them. Hence he kills off the cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X