No announcement yet.

TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out and set 6 dp traps near the house. Curious to see if there are some coins running the creek bottom. Hoping tomorrow Ivan get out and set some more traps.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
      Went out and set 6 dp traps near the house. Curious to see if there are some coins running the creek bottom. Hoping tomorrow Ivan get out and set some more traps.
      Good luck brother!!

I was going to hit the early coons hard and roll the dice but the gamble is just to big, start early and get shear numbers to make up for low sales numbers, or wait and go for quality over quantity..

It will be a few weeks before our coons start to look good, right now their flanks would probably look good but afraid the leather would look like slate.. I'm sure some would look great but there will be ones that are not so great.

I plan to catch a few next week when I'm off work to see how they are progressing but I'm not holding out high hopes.
      Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

That's my plan as well to see where they are. Work is just killing my time to get out and put traps out.

Comment

That's my plan as well to see where they are. Work is just killing my time to get out and put traps out.

Comment

I usually start trapping coons by the first of December, or after it has been really cold for awhile.
            I really can't imagine trapping anything before the hides are prime, unless I just trying to remove a problem animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
              I release during the summer...when they get bigger and fur primes out they end up getting "caught " again... ..well most of the time..
              Awesome....my DA didnt even think of that!

Keep up the good work

Comment

That's my plan as well to see where they are. Work is just killing my time

Comment

Took my wife put to sight in her rifle behind the house. An founds lots of yote tracks looks like I need to break out the good traps an fix this problem before they get to my uncles lil goats thay are starting to drop

Comment

Yes sir, it's going down this weekend!! UPS just dropped off the last package I have been waiting for.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fergeris ...sounds like fun is about to happen!!

Nailhead ...cant wait to see what ya catch brother..!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                        Fergeris ...sounds like fun is about to happen!!

Nailhead ...cant wait to see what ya catch brother..!
                        Yes sir mite have to break out the Newhouse

Comment

Traps are set. Put out the dozen traps over 3 sets near feeders that have daily coon activity. Will see how many we have in the morning. Baited them with combos of both dry and wet cat food and Jetpuff marshmallows. Nothing but the best for these little ring tailed rascals.

Comment

Well, I didn't get a whole mess of them like I hoped and thought I would, but I didn't get skunked either. Set the traps Saturday afternoon and found 1 at 2 diffefent sets this morning. Didn't have any pull outs or stolen bait. Not sure if there was just a lack of coons last night or the first one getting caught scaring off the others. The smaller of the two is pretty old. All its teeth and very worn down and it basically has no incisors. They are ground down with the molars. The other was younger and healthy. Both females.....I think. Lol. I didn't get skunked so I would say first time out was a success.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good looking color, congrats on the critters...

Comment

I got 3 beaver sets in and 3 yote sets along with some snares. There is about 4 inches of snow on the ground so makes it easy for setting snares. Found some lion tracks while setting beaver sets.

Comment

Working...
                                X