No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elgato, have you ever tried medicating your Mexico herd?

I contacted my feed supplier to see about putting out a load of medicated protein. In southwest Texas we have come up with end of March first of April being best time. Having never tried before I wonder about "over" medicating. Sounds like buying by the sack might help with that.....

Are you buying "off the shelf" wormer? If so what brand etc...

Can't wait to see if there is a noticeable difference and if so how much.

Comment

I ran wormer thru the Mexican herd once but no longer do it. Had Dr. Jacobson tell me that as dry as it is down there it would provide little value.

We use SafeGuard here. I forget what % we blend into the pellets but can get that. As I understand it , it is hard to over medicate, especially as we are just running one dose. It's better to be on the high side than under medicated. All said I am no expert here.

It's very expensive compared to unmedicated pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        I ran wormer thru the Mexican herd once but no longer do it. Had Dr. Jacobson tell me that as dry as it is down there it would provide little value.

We use SafeGuard here. I forget what % we blend into the pellets but can get that. As I understand it , it is hard to over medicate, especially as we are just running one dose. It's better to be on the high side than under medicated. All said I am no expert here.

It's very expensive compared to unmedicated pellets.
        Interesting....my thoughts on the drier climate was similar but not being an expert I thought it wasn't going to kill me to try it once.

I've used Safeguard on cattle a few times and that was the way I had planned on trying in deer herd to so we will see.....

Thanks for sharing and taking us along for the ride.

Comment

OUCH ! Out looking for sheds. Didn't want to find this. Probably from fighting. One of the disadvantages of having 2-3 bucks for every doe.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thats a monster. Is he a deer you are familliar with?

Comment

You know him.
              Attached Files

Comment

What a shame. What did he score Rusty?

Comment

Bummer.

Comment

Dang!

Comment

Dang that's a shame. What was the age on that brute? 4 1/2 or 5 1/2?

Comment

Ouch in deed! At least you won't just wonder what happened to him, and you have the trophy. Nature gets her share, but most "natural" deaths in the wild are somewhat cruel. Good luck with your farm in this new year.
                        Mr Sid

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          You know him.
                          And i was afraid that was him. Crap!

Comment

Spent the weekend spraying the clover plots with Axial to kill rye grass. Last spring was too wet to spray or mow before the rye grass went to seed. I hate the stuff. Very invasive and will choke everything out if not controlled. Beat todays rain and hopefully knocked it back enough to keep it somewhat in check.

Axial will kill rye grass but not wheat or clover, brassicas etc.

Comment

Whatcha planting this spring mr. rusty?

Comment

I'm thinking of going into my big fields with a combination of cowpeas, sunn hemp, and sunflowers. This still allows me to spray for grass should it become an issue.

I'm also replanting a couple of fields with a combo of vetch and Alyce clover. I like the vetch a lot and lost it all in last years floods.

I'm edgy to buy a roller crimper and experiment with it. I like the concept a lot and would be fantastic if it reduced herbicide needs with more effective thatch coverage.

Comment

Working...
                                X