Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    Rusty,
    Do you think the deer on the west side are down due to no fields to graze on, or due to the stress of the flood? It seems to me that when a drought hits in STX, on a protein fed place, that the older deer do really well. The herd as a whole goes down, but the alpha bucks really hog the protein and have a big growth spurt. But you know way more about deer than I so it may just be my imagination
    I think the deer on the west side are down because they didn't have access to crops like the other deer. They had ample protein and early clover but then were on weeds after that. Just my guess.

I've had the same luck you describe regarding buck performance in a drought. I've taken some of my best bucks in the worst years even though the herd as a whole was down. Trail cams point out that those bucks lived in the protein pens. The difference here on the farm is that all the bucks pushed up by drought lived on the pellets. And to be clear there are some terrific bucks including one superstar. But on average they don't look as good as the bucks that had pellets AND crops all summer. All this is speculation of course.

Glad everyone is enjoying the video. Was a fun afternoon. I only wish the quality was a little better. Here is a buck I posted a while back. He's filled out now looking handsome. Huge body and antlers look pretty good to.
    Attached Files

Comment

Toadsssssss

Comment

Toats ma goats. I would shake the tree loose from the roots if that bad boy walked out. Goodness I dont know what I would do with myself if I had the opportunity to see beautiful bucks like that.

Comment

This buck has me perplexed as to what to do. He is a 6 yr old and also posted are the previous year as well as his shed from 2 yrs ago. Easy enough to give him a pass yet there are several that would love the opportunity at him.

I'm open to any opinions
          Attached Files

Comment

I say 1 more year!!! I think he'll surprise you with something special!

Comment

You know more about growing deer than I do. But my opinion is its been a wet year and he is at a great age and he dropped a lot of inches this year from last so id shoot him. But I just like your wide, tall tines, w kickers bucks better than a super heavy palmated trashy buck. So I guess I'd rid of him for the kind of genetics I like. Great buck though

Comment

Yup id let him be Rusty...no doubt.

Comment

KILL!!!
                  If someone wants him. Might as well.

Comment

I think this has been an unusual weather, both spring and summer, to much rain and followed with little to no rain. Bad yr for food plots. You have said it yourself, the deer do much better on combination of protein feed and food plots in combination grow better Bucks. With his age factoring in, I would let him walk this yr. And I like tall racks that come together forming an arch, or a Halo so to speak. We also have some bucks that fit the same mold. I like it.

Comment

awesome videos! With your genetics on the farm I would whack that narrow 6.5 year old all day long

Comment

My only thought is compared to the other great deer your growing he is not in the same class. True he's got mass and points however doesn't really fit the mold. An old ranch owner once told me if you like all those small 8's let'em be and I guarantee you'll have more of em!! I would never suggest to any farmer, rancher, landowner what to take ..... especially after you've succeeded to the level you have. I just want a little piece of your knowledge

Comment

I still fall under he's freaking cool, but he's downhill a bit! Rusty has the luxury of rolling the dice on deer. I say roll away because it's more fun to win! Better luck next year!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            I think the deer on the west side are down because they didn't have access to crops like the other deer. They had ample protein and early clover but then were on weeds after that. Just my guess.

I've had the same luck you describe regarding buck performance in a drought. I've taken some of my best bucks in the worst years even though the herd as a whole was down. Trail cams point out that those bucks lived in the protein pens. The difference here on the farm is that all the bucks pushed up by drought lived on the pellets. And to be clear there are some terrific bucks including one superstar. But on average they don't look as good as the bucks that had pellets AND crops all summer. All this is speculation of course.

Glad everyone is enjoying the video. Was a fun afternoon. I only wish the quality was a little better. Here is a buck I posted a while back. He's filled out now looking handsome. Huge body and antlers look pretty good to.
                            If this deer was on a thread by himself, he would be legendary! This is a true monster typical. You sure have spoiled us! Noone even commented on him!LOL

Comment

Thanks for noticing. I've only seen him 'live' briefly a couple of times. He looks giant in person. Without trying to add up everything he looks like a 190 class 10 pt. to me.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                                I think this has been an unusual weather, both spring and summer, to much rain and followed with little to no rain. Bad yr for food plots. You have said it yourself, the deer do much better on combination of protein feed and food plots in combination grow better Bucks. With his age factoring in, I would let him walk this yr. And I like tall racks that come together forming an arch, or a Halo so to speak. We also have some bucks that fit the same mold. I like it.
                                let me correct my remarks here. I don't have any 190 10 point but a 150 maybe with the same type of tall rack. I don't want to miss represent here. And I still like the tall racked buck u pictured here.

Comment

Working...
                                X