A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I'm a hemp farmer! Not as much money in it as I thought though.Hopefully the soil and deer benefitted. I will definitely grow more next year.
      Attached Files

Comment

Fabulous thread - have enjoyed reading from page 1

Comment

That's some good looking SH elgato. Have the deer been hitting it much? We had a fair amount of browsing early, but the deer seemed to have backed off ours in July.

Comment

Hemp farmer with no cash profits, haha I remember those days, mine seamed to go up in smoke back then. as a side note, I had a 1/3 acre spot around the pond watershed where all the clover had died back. So I threw out some sunn hemp seeds (heavy seeding) last week and hooked up the irrigation (pump and sprinkler) and now I have 1/3 acra of 3 inch plants growing. I put them behind an e fence till they get about 20 days old and will open it up just before bow season starts. The deer love the young SH plants and I had seed left over because of wet fields last spring. I need to mow some of mine also. And Rusty, what are you going to plant this fall? Have u talked to anyone about EB Rye seeds this yr, r they going to be available u think?

Comment

we are spraying all our clover fields this week with glyphosate. All the clover excepting spotty durana has gone dormant. Weeds and grasses are growing. So we are spraying now before cooler weather and moisture starts the clover back growing. We will drill small grains to the clover mid Sept. moisture considered.

Starting in a couple of weeks we will begin spraying fields where we rotate summer/fall crops. I don't want to spray too early and have another flush of weeds or grasses before planting.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good timing on the gly. I imagine you are saving a bunch of money vs spraying cleth

Comment

We are using this time before fall planting begins to ditch fields for better drainage. With the wet spring we had we watched where water pooled in the fields and how best to channel out. A ditcher is a handy tool in our country.

Also with dove season just around the corner we burned off a millet field to attract what appears to be an abundant crop of birds. For me dove season signals that we have survived summer and fall festivities are about to crank up...at last.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow that ditcher is a cool tool. I remember you posting about it last year I just didn't realize how violent it was or how it worked. I'm assuming it's pto driven? And burning the dove fields off like that won't burn up the seed? I understand giving them a clean place to land will attract more birds.

Comment

Wish we weren't in a burn ban. I have a lot of food plots that I would love to burn as well

Comment

Is RollingStone cleaned up yet? Most of my bigger deer are cleaned up and looking 2 years older~! LOL

Comment

If GarGuy could post a hunting story about El Gato grown deer .... TBH Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Is RollingStone cleaned up yet? Most of my bigger deer are cleaned up and looking 2 years older~! LOL
                            I got pics of him 2 days ago and noticed the top of his G3 was breaking thru. I bet he cleans up quickly now. I also got video of him a couple of days ago so timing was perfect. Wasn't great video cause was right at dark at maybe 200+ yds. but still exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              I got pics of him 2 days ago and noticed the top of his G3 was breaking thru. I bet he cleans up quickly now. I also got video of him a couple of days ago so timing was perfect. Wasn't great video cause was right at dark at maybe 200+ yds. but still exciting.
                              I hope you had a tripod. No way i would be able to hold the camera steady! I cant wait to see him clean. I had a pretty nice ten that i was calling a 3 year old. he came up missing a couple days and showed up polished. He looks like he gained 40lbs and two years of age too. I just suck at aging deer. He is definately 5 or older and i have been calling him 3 for two months.

Comment

Agree! I'm very cautious on aging or scoring summer deer. I usually don't try.

I have a buddy that might post some of the video which , yes, was with tripod. Not great quality because of aforementioned conditions but ok. And he's running with another buck over 170 thats both older and much bigger body. Cool stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X