X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another.
    Attached Files

Comment

Rusty, Thanks again for your entertaining and educating post here. You made me smile when u tell of the weed plots. I have several of those this yr due to our wet spring, making it impossible to plant my favorite seed, EB Soybean seed. When I first started food plotting, I went through a learning curve, (still learning haha) I would cuss at the weed growth until I learned the deer like a lot of the weeds, so I do not worry so much about those weed food plots anymore. it good you posted about the deer eating the weeds, because people watch and learn from you. And as far as the Sunn hemp, it has done well on my place and I like it mixed with the peas. The deer really liked it when it was 2 to 10" tall, they wiped I out in some of the smaller patches of an acre. The deer continue to take out the tops of the 3' plants here. It will be planted again. Thanks again

Comment

I'm concerned. I have become convinced aliens have descended upon the farm and removed most of the deer. I've been looking for the past week early and late to see what the bucks look like. We have been running cameras to start a census as well as see what the top end bucks look like. Deer sightings both visually and with cameras have dropped dramatically.

Whats curious is the summer annual plots are done, the clover is mostly burned up yet the deer have backed off the protein significantly. I can only assume there are some weeds or mast that is attracting the deer. It is hot and dry. That I'm sure is also limiting day time movement.

We are taking advantage of the drought to drain wet spots in fields and repair roads that have suffered from wet weather travel. Always something to do.

Buck pics coming as we start to find some of the best ones. I'm hoping to get some late velvet pics before they start shedding.
        Attached Files

Comment

This thread continues to deliver. One of the best ever on TBH. Keep the updates rolling

Comment

I may be suffering from too much sun or an overly fitful imagination. From my observations on the farm as well as trail cam pics it appears to me that the deer look better on the east side of the farm than the west side. Significant to this is the flooding was from about the middle of our overall property then to the west. A bunch of deer got pushed up to the edge of the high water and spent a good portion of the summer there. To the west all the food plots flooded.

Where all the bucks were pushed up they basically lived on protein and weeds. They annihilated any cultivars immediately. If this is true what is telling is the importance of both pellets AND summer crops. Several of the known bucks in that area are down from previous seasons. What is curious is that they would not have needed to go much further east to find better habitat but chose to stay in a couple of areas closest to the water.

What I know is that all but one of the top end bucks this year are on the east side where they had numerous crops and pellets. Here are some of the better ones.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looking good buddy! Wont be much longer...

Comment

That's a lot of bone!

Comment

Dang!!!!

Comment

Those bucks are looking real good.

Comment

true monsters! Love it

Comment

That Last Picture is a lot Better Picture than what you Showed Us. Wow

Comment

Rusty,
                          Just curious if you've ever experienced any EHD outbreaks on your ground. It seems with the nutrition you have, most should be in good shape. I would be a little concerned with the heat and the lack of moisture setting up for a potential problem. Great picts and great thread.

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
                            Rusty,
                            Just curious if you've ever experienced any EHD outbreaks on your ground. It seems with the nutrition you have, most should be in good shape. I would be a little concerned with the heat and the lack of moisture setting up for a potential problem. Great picts and great thread.
                            I've never seen a confirmed EHD/BT outbreak here but think it's possible we occasionally lose a few deer. Since building the fence [ 5 yrs ago ] where we could better monitor the deer I've seen no abnormal loss.

This is midge country though. Almost impossible to be out at dusk in warm weather cause they will eat you up. I'd like to think our deer have developed immunities .

Comment

I have 2 fields of sunn hemp that are in the initial stages of bloom. From what I have read the max nitrogen content in the leaves is just before the bloom stage. So I am going to mow them today and see what happens. I won't spray them till the first of Sept so I am curious if there will be any regrowth.

I saw this guy earlier in the summer but have only caught a glimpse of him over the last month. This is the first picture since maybe June.
                              Attached Files

Comment

beautiful buck

Comment

Working...
                                X