No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O yeah! Is he the one u had the sheds from with all the palmation?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
      O yeah! Is he the one u had the sheds from with all the palmation?
      Nope, this one is older, perhaps 6 or more. If you go back to the beginning of this whole thread{ pg. 2 } you will see this deer's sheds from 2 yrs ago.

I've been seeing the buck you speak of and he has his boat paddles coming along nicely. He is not as big as this guy ...yet. Then he is only 4 this yr.

Comment

That's a toad Rusty! Looks like he will end up with 45" of mass or more? Great deer.

Comment

Hes huge!!!

Comment

That is gonna be a pig!! Reminds me of the deer Todd Bigbee took in Kansas couple years back

Comment

Speechless..

Comment

your consistent production of monster deer is simply amazing. It certainly motivates a young man like myself to work hard so that I may one day have the resources to do the same.

Comment

elgato, you should write a book on growing monster whitetails.

Comment

Originally posted by drslonghorn View Post
                    That's a toad Rusty! Looks like he will end up with 45" of mass or more? Great deer.
                    I wa going to guess closer to 60 inches of mass. Looks like a couple of 10 inch circumferences unless that velvet is really confusing my eye.

Comment

A year in the life of a farm

Very nice, your bucks are much further along than those in my area of the state ( southern Avoyelles Parish). Your early rut, fawning, and development is helped by good nutrition and less stress. However, it's still amazing the difference a few miles can make on rut timing. On another note, I saw where JRB was again recognized in the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sid View Post
                        Very nice, your bucks are much further along than those in my area of the state ( southern Avoyelles Parish). Your early rut, fawning, and development is helped by good nutrition and less stress. However, it's still amazing the difference a few miles can make on rut timing. On another note, I saw where JRB was again recognized in the industry.
                        Nice that you noticed the recognition for JRB Studio. Yet another NEOCON award. The folks in design and development are amazingly creative and lead the industry with innovation and design. Makes a man proud!

Comment

The flood water is finally off both my farm and my neighbors farm. Altogether I estimate 1400-1600 acres of our 2500 acres flooded. Most of the flooding was on my neighbors and he may have only had a couple hundred acres dry. This pushed almost all the deer onto me which taxed everything. The good news is I think our overall numbers were such that the deer were not nutritionally stressed even though they had their turf cut in half.

That said I do think our numbers have crept up and we need to reduce the overall population. Protein consumption has been off the charts this year. Even my neighbor had higher overall consumption than last year though he was only able to use 3 feeders. They had to be filled every third day.

Several of my summer plots went under water and all of my neighbors plots flooded. The deer wiped out every pea or bean field I have. While I had visions of farmer quality bean fields all I have now are 6" high beans chocked with weeds. The clover fields have saved the day but even they are starting to show summer stress . The forecast shows hot and dry so I suspect most of the clover will start going dormant. Which also means MORE protein consumption.

The one summer food plot positive has been the sunn hemp. I ended up with a 4.5 acre field and a 7 acre field with sunn hemp, cow peas, buckwheat, and sunflower. They have done well and I will expand that next year. Sunn hemp grazing has been light but I expect now that they know what it is next year will show much heavier use.

Here is a picture of a sunn hemp field that is 4-6 ft. tall I plan to mow it to about 3-4 ft. tomorrow to experiment. I will not mow the other field to compare.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I know some of you would rather see buck pictures than food plots. Here is Rolling Stone plus another handsome man. The bucks are looking really good and I'll post more early August when we run the cameras around the farm.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Heres a better picture of the second buck.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I see a cull!

Comment

Working...
                                X