No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheat and rye had already seeded and dry. After drilling I sprayed to kill weeds already in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      The wheat and rye had already seeded and dry. After drilling I sprayed to kill weeds already in the field.
      Are you spraying Gly?

Looks great! I'm looking at buying a Model 71 2-row planter and using it as a no-till drill. Need to add weight to it to help it break through to seeding depth.

Comment

Yes, gly after drilling. Hope to not spray anymore till before fall planting. I can handle some weed infestation but not if it starts chocking the good stuff.

Comment

Found this one or two day old female fawn dead beside a road yesterday. No idea what happened but things in nature don't always go as smoothly as planned.No external markings or any indication of cause of death. Conception would have happened early to mid Oct.
          Attached Files

Comment

Bummer

Comment

Bummer about the fawn.

It looks like the Sunn Hemp experiment is about to be underway!

Comment

Just curious, but when something is found and looks that clean, is it something you will look into ? A vet or something ?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Bummer about the fawn.

It looks like the Sunn Hemp experiment is about to be underway!
                  Sunn hemp planted yesterday. Conditions were perfect. Very interested to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                    Just curious, but when something is found and looks that clean, is it something you will look into ? A vet or something ?
                    If there was a pattern I would investigate. Suspect newborn mortality not very rare. Certainly will watch for signs though and willing to call in vet if problem suspected.

Comment

Like everyone I hate sharing my deer pellets with coons and have always figured they account for a material amount of consumption and waste. Killing them is like dipping the ocean with a teaspoon. So I've been trying different things to coon proof the feeders.

Here are 3 different feeders I use on the farm. The trick is to eliminate a place for them to sit or a way for them to get to the spout. So far we have yet to get the first pic of a coon on any of these . We get the rare boar doing a chin up but doesn't appear he can eat much and waste underneath the feeders has stopped. Actually we are seeing coons underneath the feeders doing clean up which I like.

Note one of the feeders was designed to be coon proof requiring no modification. Works perfectly. Made in Ms. for anyone interested.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing...I was waiting to see the final product. Looks like simple is best....

Comment

I realize it is only mid May but thought I would share an early picture of Rolling Stone. Had the cameras out checking our success at thwarting coons and caught him.Thats him on the left unmistakable by the growth under his jaw.

If we keep getting pictures of him I'll post updates on his growth
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow....amazing early growth!

Mine are just starting to show a split....way behind yours.

Comment

That's going to be a bighead for sure! Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

He's looking good Rusty!

Comment

Working...
                                X