A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    You folks are amazing! Thanks for all the interest and support.

I'm balled up on a major project now but offer this brief update. I promise pictures and detail later this week.

For now:

224 1/8 gross
    205 4/8 net nontypical
    192 5/8 net typical

This from a home grown local genetic very well fed 5 yr old.
    He's bigger than I thought!

I was walking down a woods road at daylight this morning and spotted Lopsided walking away around a curve. Dropped my cushion, thermos, rattling horns and started sneaking up on him. Moved forward maybe 40 or 50 yards , looked again and he was straight on staring at me.

He then turned and started walking off the road and I dropped to my belly popped out the bi pods and grunted at him. He stopped just as he was going out of sight and I shot.

It was very early so I went back and had a cup of tea then went to look. I went in where I thought he had gone and spent an hour looking before I found him. Seems I picked the wrong spot where he went in. He had run about 75 yds.

I'm still shaking!

221 gross
    203 6/8 as a 10 pt.
    17 2/8" 'trash'. Has some points off back of beam that are hidden
    27"+ mainbeams
    49" mass
    21 4/8" inside spread
    6 yrs old
    I gotta say Rusty, I think I like lopsided more

Congratulations on a fine homegrown animal. What a memorable time of harvest for you and Frank. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. This continues to be very enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Great Big Bucks How cool is that!! Thanks for the all the posting from the beginning to this. Keep your experience on the farm coming.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        That 10pt frame is beyond imagination! Just a dream deer! I had that 8pt at 162 until you killed that one. Now I know I CLEARLY underscored that 8pt. Im going to look at him again.
        I did the same thing. Had to go back and take a closer look at the 8. At first I had him around 166 at a quick glance. I help out on a ranch which has giants everywhere, I have a +10 rule on scoring them: whatever I think the score is +10 inches and I'm probably pretty darn close. Gonna apply this rule on the big 8 which puts him at 176

Comment

Couple of years ago I clear cut 50 acres of mature pine then planted with long leaf pine. Cool trees. Here's a helicopter spraying arsenal yesterday to release the pines and accelerate growth. My kids will appreciate the income down the road and the wildlife appreciates the habitat now.
          Attached Files

Comment

^^^very nice

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              That 10pt frame is beyond imagination! Just a dream deer! I had that 8pt at 162 until you killed that one. Now I know I CLEARLY underscored that 8pt. Im going to look at him again.
              I actually had that 8 pt walk by me at ~ 40 yds while I was looking for Franks deer. At the time I thought him to be around 170. I still think thats close though my field scoring credibility is suspect. I thought Lopsided was between 198-202.

Comment

That's a big dang 8 point!!!

Comment

He's 170-174 easy! I bet he's G2 is 17 inches on that one side!

Comment

This was already one of my favorite threads, and now two bucks over 200+"

Epic! Congrats again! Well done

Comment

Lopsided is a cool looking deer..congrats! Do you happen to have a pic of the two racks (gorgeous and lopsided) together for a side by side comparison?

Comment

Amazing, Congrats on one fine animal!

Comment

Great deer and congratulations on reaping the rewards of all your efforts.

Comment

OK here are a few food plot shots for those interested. At the risk of being accused of being senile, I can't emphasis how important I consider fall plots to be with appropriate cultivars. The small grains are terrific for late winter, and the clovers all spring and in to summer. The radishes, beans and other plants all work together to enhance health thus next yrs. antlers.

First up is a field of wheat, rye and you can see a few soybeans I threw in for a little early attraction

Second pic is small grains and radishes with Lupines , arrow leaf clover and red clover.

Third is a large Durana clover field with 50/lbs acre rye in it

Lastly is a summer plot of vetch and Alyce clover. Both are going to seed and will come back next spring.
                            Attached Files

Comment

OK here are a few food plot shots for those interested. At the risk of being accused of being senile, I can't emphasis how important I consider fall plots to be with appropriate cultivars. The small grains are terrific for late winter, and the clovers all spring and in to summer. The radishes, beans and other plants all work together to enhance health thus next yrs. antlers.

First up is a field of wheat, rye and you can see a few soybeans I threw in for a little early attraction

Second pic is small grains and radishes with Lupines , arrow leaf clover and red clover.

Third is a large Durana clover field with 50/lbs acre rye in it

Lastly is a summer plot of vetch and Alyce clover. Both are going to seed and will come back next spring.

Great looking plots Rusty.

Comment

Rusty, just catching up on this. Wow is all I can think of when looking at your deer. It absolutely is hard for me to comprehend a buck with that large of a 10 pt. rack. Congrats to you. Lots of hard work has gone into that deer and the others. You and your partner deserve all that you get.

Comment

Working...
                                X