A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    So tell us how that works Rusty.....doves will hit that burnt field?
    Some of the best few hunts I have had were over a burned field. It produced all season as well. It was just pasture that had alot of sunflower and croton in it.
    Last edited by El General; 09-02-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Mowing the last of the bean /pea fields today. This one is pearl millet and soy beans.The mower only takes the tops out of the soy beans so they stay alive and are going to bean now. Deer will continue to hit the field till I spray it prior to fall planting. The millet makes for great organic matter and weed suppression. I thought it might attract some doves but haven't seen that yet.

Will put this field back in Elbon rye for fall with expected planting date around end of Sept or early Oct. depending on moisture.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        Rusty,
        We planted some seed last weekend. We still haven't had any rain, and it's dry and hot. How long will seeds last before they become "dead", waiting on rain?
        They will last a long, long time in the dry ground. Several months and some seeds last many years just waiting to germinate.

Comment

How was the dove hunting Rusty?

Comment

Our season opens next Saturday

Comment

Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

My seed guy told me today, no Ebon Rye seed this year, due to crop failure and they are not selling seed this season due to them keeping the seed for 2015 crop for seeds. Have u heard that from your supplier? He told me he can get other rye grain seed, so I gave him the go ahead.

Comment

and I ordered the ebon rye seed couple weeks ago, forgot to mention that

Comment

Interesting. I have not heard that. I have my seed order with the feed store for pricing expecting an answer tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out. Think I need ~ 4500 lbs.

Comment

I ordered elbon rye also a couple of weeks, went to pick up today and they didn't get it. I went to another seed store and they had plenty.

Comment

I ordered 1,000 lbs and I will contact some other feed and seed places around the Shreveport area today. I have a good seed supplier who offered another rye grain seed but not sure how the deer will take to it the way they love the Elbon Rye

Comment

Great thread!! Thanks

Comment

No Elbon rye here either. I'm taking a chance with the Rhymin rye. Understand it may not get quite as tall . Will report results. Going with 100 lbs wheat, 50 lbs rye /acre cause the wheat is 1/3 the cost of rye. To that I'll add various other plants like radishes, clovers, Austrian winter peas etc.

Comment

I just read this entire thread. Awsome info! Very nice bucks. Can't wait to see more.

Comment

winter plots

is rye a good/preferred deer food? nutritious? For some reason I always thought it didn't have much nutritional value. Any rape/brassicas in your winter plots?

Comment

Working...
                                X