No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lived here most of my life. Management has been an ever evolving thing as we learn more and get better at it. The last 4 yrs is when everything really started exploding. The quality has exceeded my expectations. I always figured I'd be able to grow a big buck or two. Never expected to have multiple 200"+ bucks the same yr.

Obviously to consistently grow bucks this size ALL!!! the details have to be attended to. That said , what I think I have learned is that nutrition is the key and most likely the limiter in most herds.

Comment

I agree with you but, if protein was such a big key to your program than why aren't we seeing others with your success? I think the work you have put into your plots are more key to your success than you are giving them.

Comment

I'm in. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Total agreement. I believe it is the whole package.The way we manage food plots is absolutely essential and can't be overestimated. By trial and error we have found the legumes that work best in our area and gotten better at growing them. High quality crops are growing 12 months a year for numerous years now.

I do believe our pellets add a few inches. There is lots of farmland around yet not many folks consistently growing deer like us. I also think our pellets are better than the commercial brands.

As you know also I am hyper particular about what deer get removed and which ones we leave. I'll get in to that in more detail as I start posting the deer we will be removing and why.

Comment

This thread is fixing to get real exciting!!! Big deer are fixing to start hitting the ground!! I can't wait!

Comment

You have any recent pics of the big fields planted in peas/beans/sunflowers

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                You have any recent pics of the big fields planted in peas/beans/sunflowers
                No, they were very grown up with all the different stuff I planted in them. I started mowing this week prepping them for fall planting.I mowed them a little high so the beans or peas can still grow till I spray and replant them in a few weeks.

It's been a great year for the clovers and vetch/Alyce fields so even though I'm cleaning the table with the larger fields there is still plenty growing.Starting to see bucks shedding daily now.

Comment

Are you planting any clover in the next month or so? And where do you buy it? I planted some last weekend but they only sold it in 10 lb bags I think for about $40. I only bought one bag. We planted about 10 acres total with some wildlife mixes, winter wheat, oats, buck forage oats, and the Durana clover. We only have a finishing disc so I hope I scratched ut good enough and have enough tall grass thatch to get it growing.
                  I will be looking for a deeper disc this year in hopes of planting more acreage more often. I also may go plant some elbon rye in a month or so once it comes in. No place around here had any in yet. We scratched some places that we left unplanted for it just in case. I realized real quick that the seed isn't cheap, but if it grows, you come out way ahead of corn for an attractant, and we are providing good nutrition to the deer. Hopefully the hogs don't get it all too.

Comment

Burned off the dove field yesterday preparing for next weekends opener. 13 acres of sunflowers under seeded with brown top millet.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Me like fire

Comment

So tell us how that works Rusty.....doves will hit that burnt field?

Comment

wondering the same thing......

Comment

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing. Good luck this season.

Comment

Burning a dove field does a couple of things that are both good for doves and hunting. First, as you probably know doves prefer clean ground to feed on . In sandy soils like in many places in Tx. that is not a problem but here where it rains a lot fields get quite thick. Thus burning creates a nice clean surface for feeding.

Secondly, it seems doves are very attracted to the roasted seeds. I've seen doves coming in to the fields while smoke still rising . The fire is not very hot so the seeds are not destroyed and in fact some of them will still germinate with rain. You can look on the clean ground and easily find the seeds which I'm sure the doves notice also.

Sure makes finding the doves a lot easier also. Of course it rained 2 1/4 inches yesterday so the field may be a jungle before the season opens.

Comment

Rusty,
                                We planted some seed last weekend. We still haven't had any rain, and it's dry and hot. How long will seeds last before they become "dead", waiting on rain?

Comment

Working...
                                X