No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna tell yall... if you dibt have lespedeza , you are missing out. Grows great wet or dry. Super digestible equivalent of alfalfa but thrives in east tx climate. Deerl ove it in spring and will eat it all winter dry. My deer are so fat right now you wouldn't believe it even though we have record drought.

Plant it once. Mow and fertilize every year. It will be there

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      Gonna tell yall... if you dibt have lespedeza , you are missing out. Grows great wet or dry. Super digestible equivalent of alfalfa but thrives in east tx climate. Deerl ove it in spring and will eat it all winter dry. My deer are so fat right now you wouldn't believe it even though we have record drought.

Plant it once. Mow and fertilize every year. It will be there
      Very interesting. I've done a little research on lespedeza but never confirmed it as a quality deer food. What kind do you plant? I have the perfect sp[ot to experiment this yr.

I'm off to the ranch to inaugurate the season with a dove hunt. Will be epic. Let the games begin

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	26581447

Comment

Cobe lespedeza. Crazy drought and my deer are mud fat.

That pic is crazy!

Comment

Name:	Resized_20230910_144659.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	26581521 These mature deer have seen zero feed from. Jan till last week. They been living in the lespedeza . Roly poly fatClick image for larger version  Name:	Resized_Resized_IMG_0889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	26581519
          Attached Files
          Last edited by GarGuy; 09-11-2023, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Garguy you might need to mix in some insulin with that corn! Gonna make a note to add that lespedza to the mix next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
              Garguy you might need to mix in some insulin with that corn! Gonna make a note to add that lespedza to the mix next spring.
              It is wonderful stuff. Comes back every year. Mowing it about mid may and mid Sept helps. It makes spring plots and fall plots
              Last edited by GarGuy; 09-12-2023, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Just back from the ranch where we had a fabulous dove hunt. Humberto Gomez of Double Eagle outfitters provided the guns, shells, and bird boys while we hunted our ranch fields. He did a fabulous job as always. Lost count but I think we shot somewhere around 300 boxes shells. Got pics of a few bucks. :et the games begin

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	26586491 Click image for larger version

Views:	446
ID:	26586492

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    Just back from the ranch where we had a fabulous dove hunt. Humberto Gomez of Double Eagle outfitters provided the guns, shells, and bird boys while we hunted our ranch fields. He did a fabulous job as always. Lost count but I think we shot somewhere around 300 boxes shells. Got pics of a few bucks. :et the games begin

That’s a lot of shooting Rusty. Congrats on a great bird shoot. Nice bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Those bucks may be sword fighting!

Comment

It's planting time! Hopefully there is enough moisture from the rains a few weeks ago to get solid germination. As with the past few cycles I'm using cows to terminate summer forages following immediately behind them with the drill.

AS a foundation I'm planting this in all the plots
                        Cosaque black oats
                        Elbon rye
                        radishes---think by getting the radishes in early will have better results than past couple years
                        purple top turnips.

After that I will be including various combinations of clovers depending on soli type and whatever is already growing in the field including
                        Arrow leaf clover
                        La.-s 1
                        Persian clover---experiment but like what I've been reading about it

Also interested to see if the red clover planted last fall comes back . Had a terrific stand that lasted most of the summer.

I'm also going to experiment with about 10 acres of Kobe lespedeza[ thanks gar guy ]

Comment

Rusty, I mowed 20 acres of lespedza today. Half was mowed in May and half had not been mowed since last fall. The spring mow has spung back since it started raining and was a carpet about 12 inches tall. The uncut was waste high with deer trails like a jigsaw puzzle. Every Bush worth hooking was fresh hooked around each plot. I saw as much buck sigh as I have ever seen in one day.

Comment

Before I get to deer video, here's one showing a summer project converting hurricane damage to a savannah for wildlife and cattle. Its been fun creating a mosaic with travel corridors, enhanced water distribution , and scenic beauty all under the umbrella of regenerative management.

Comment

GG, youre the first person I ever heard say anything good about Lespedeza. Might need to look into this. We have it on our lease.

I would like to hear other opinions about it

Comment

Recap from ranch last yr.

Comment

Working...
                                X