No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some incredible bucks! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have to admit that I wait on this thread to refresh like a 5 year old waits for Christmas morning. What a testament showing what native bloodline can do when allowed to reach full maturity. Thanks for the update Rusty.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	24704634

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	24704635Wrapping up another season and thought I'd post a few observations.First our La. farm. frankly it was an abysmal season, worst in years. Excepting the 10x10 we took...dont get to say that very often....there simply wasn't the quality of bucks we have become used too. I attribute it to lingering effects of Hurricane Laura 2 yrs ago as well as uncharacteristically hard freezes 2 yrs in a row.Also dry weather patterns for 2 years compromised the timing and quality of the food plots. Who knows, maybe even stress from all these environmental factors impacted the bucks.All This radically damaged the environment, led to no acorns 2 years in a row and killed a bunch of deer. I'm encouraged though as I saw a promising batch of 2,3 and 4 yr olds so I expect next yr to be quite good.

Mexico was a different story. Despite a severe summer drought, most of the bucks were either the same or slightly better than last yr. We took 13 bucks ranging from 145-200 with 5 of them over 170. Averaging the score of all 13 was 165" . Best part is we only took one of the 6-8 top end bucks on the ranch. Left a bunch of super deer. Hopefully the lions don't eat them.

The heavy 8 pt was at least 10. Been watching him for yrs. Two years ago he was a stunning 9 pt with beautiful drop probably mid 190's.I doubt the archer that got him cares if he might have rebounded. All the bucks we took this yr were old, mostly 8 plus. I'll write a bit more and post a few more pics as I catch up on neglected duties.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the update Rusty.

Comment

Wow
            Your down year is a whole lot different than most!

Comment

Beautiful deer Rusty! And I don't want to hear about those lions! Ugh...

Comment

Phenomenal deer Mr Rusty!!! Some absolute dream deer from Mexico. I am in awe and in lust over that 8

Comment

Rusty I know the drought hurt the food plots but have you noticed a major difference in soil moisture and temperatures in switching from roller crimping to mob grazing to terminate your plots?

Comment

Thanks for the update sir. As always some breath taking monsters.

Comment

Incredible

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                        Rusty I know the drought hurt the food plots but have you noticed a major difference in soil moisture and temperatures in switching from roller crimping to mob grazing to terminate your plots?
                        Was wondering if they introduced cattle/goats had anything to do with it myself. He knows much more about that kinda stuff than I ever will but just one of the things that came to mind.

Comment

thanks for the update

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            [ATTACH]1116841[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1116842[/ATTACH]Wrapping up another season and thought I'd post a few observations.First our La. farm. frankly it was an abysmal season, worst in years. Excepting the 10x10 we took...dont get to say that very often....there simply wasn't the quality of bucks we have become used too. I attribute it to lingering effects of Hurricane Laura 2 yrs ago as well as uncharacteristically hard freezes 2 yrs in a row.Also dry weather patterns for 2 years compromised the timing and quality of the food plots. Who knows, maybe even stress from all these environmental factors impacted the bucks.All This radically damaged the environment, led to no acorns 2 years in a row and killed a bunch of deer. I'm encouraged though as I saw a promising batch of 2,3 and 4 yr olds so I expect next yr to be quite good.

Mexico was a different story. Despite a severe summer drought, most of the bucks were either the same or slightly better than last yr. We took 13 bucks ranging from 145-200 with 5 of them over 170. Averaging the score of all 13 was 165" . Best part is we only took one of the 6-8 top end bucks on the ranch. Left a bunch of super deer. Hopefully the lions don't eat them.

The heavy 8 pt was at least 10. Been watching him for yrs. Two years ago he was a stunning 9 pt with beautiful drop probably mid 190's.I doubt the archer that got him cares if he might have rebounded. All the bucks we took this yr were old, mostly 8 plus. I'll write a bit more and post a few more pics as I catch up on neglected duties.
                            That's one incredible set of deer bone! In the skull pic, there's a big main frame nine far right and what look like two big main frame 8s front left and back left. I'm curious the scores of those, and also the score of the big main frame 8 with a kicker or 2 on the right side being held for the picture?
                            What was the ratio of hunter heart attacks to harvested deer on your Mexico property this year?

Comment

Just incredible bucks. Love both sets of deer but your Mexico bucks are another level!

Comment

Good read, thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X