No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned previously it has been a wonderfully wet summer and the clover fields are all still looking great. Last week I mowed most of them and since then have received more rain. Today we sprayed them all ~ 40 acres of just clover fields...with Select a grass specific herbicide.

I also started putting together my fall planting list. Just an opinion but I believe the fall plots with appropriate mixes do more to grow healthy deer than the summer plots. Certainly you get more bang for the buck. They are going strong during the winter stress period helping bucks recover from the rut. Then the clovers are really on fire in spring helping get bucks and does off to a strong start.

It looks like I have about 5 different mixtures going in for different reasons.
    For the fields that I alternate between soybeans or peas and winter covers:
    100lbs elbon rye
    50 lbs wheat
    5 lbs radishes
    3 lbs kale
    10 lbs crimson---there is already a good seed crop of crimson or I would add more
    I may add 25 lbs of buckwheat to one of the fields that I think needs extra attention [clay]

Several fields have a good Durana stand. For them:
    50 lbs wheat
    10 lbs Red clover
    5 lbs radishes
    2 lbs chicory...for the fields that don't already have them

One field was in beans this summer and was disappointed in results. Another field needs invigorating.THus I'm converting them to something new. For them;
    50 lbs wheat
    10 lbs arrow leaf
    10 lbs red clover
    5 lbs radishes
    2 lbs chicory

My dove field in summer sun flowers: There will be Lots of legumes to fix nitrogen
    100 lbs elbon rye
    50 lbs wheat
    10 lbs crimson clover...already a great seed bank of crimson so doesn't take much
    20 lbs austrian winter peas
    5 lbs radishes

And lastly, the field where the big 12 pt. with kickers has been feeding is a Durana clover field. The buck lives on our common property line and is seen as often on my neighbors property as mine. So I am spicing up that field with everything to try and attract him. I will also add fertilizer there to sweeten things up. For that field:

50 lbs. wheat
    50 lbs sweet blue lupines [if I can find them ]
    5 lbs radishes
    2 lbs chicory
    And as mentioned probably 300 lbs/acre balance fertilizer with nitrogen. First time I've used fertilizer in 3 yrs. but all is fair in hunting and war....or something like that.

I'll fine tune that as we start putting order together and confirm price and availability but that is a good overview.Planting will start no earlier that Sept 10 then dependent on moisture. Using No till though doesn't take as much moisture.

Comment

Lol look out Frank!!! Pull out all the stops Rusty! Can't wait to see who gets him!

Comment

Just killing time tonight and thought I would post this picture taken last weekend down at the ranch. 125 lb male mt. lion we found late one afternoon in a dry lake bed. Granted nothing to do with La. but was quite exciting at the time. I'm going to have him full body mounted replicating my logo.

Comment

Hmmm picture didn't post ,Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	24322242try again

Comment

Still dream about him! Man did that thing get me worked up!

Comment

I see your seed plans and so I am thinking about the 12pt kill spot when asking this. I notice in your plans you will be planting wheat in all of the fields. I am no farmer (but I fill like one sometimes) but wheat sprouts up and then goes dormant through winter with little to no growth and then comes on strong in late winter or early spring. Is that what happens at your place? Or because it has a longer growing season in Rapides Parish? I know the deer love wheat and I also know it comes on when a lot of natures stuff is dormant, and so there is good food for them when they need it. Do you think wheat makes a good kill plot for lets say around thanksgiving or during the rut? I fully understand you know your place like no one else, or you would not be planting all that wheat. I also see you do Radishes, and it is for the soil or do your deer eat it cause they wont touch mine And thanks for your post as I am slowly learning a better and cheaper way to grow deer. Oh! I like the Rye and I also noticed no Oats planned, I am on the border with oats, since they browned out so early this past winter. And Please keep up the posts

Comment

Nice cat. Shoot him or trap him?

I want one

Comment

Nice cat

Comment

I plant the rye and wheat for different purposes. I do wheat only at a lighter planting rate in my clover fields because it doesn't grow so tall and thick hence no concerns about it chocking out the clover. Here, it does come up quickly with moisture and shows growth proportionate to moisture. Usually looks great by Thanksgiving. Frankly usually have deer on it in Oct. assuming mid Sept. planting. With the wheat in the clover fields I'm more apt to leave it standing longer giving deer opportunity to eat seed heads.

I plant the rye thick primarily as a cover crop and soil conditioner for next summers beans. I can't tell any grazing preference though I have never done side by side tests. Just as apt to see deer in rye as wheat but note I usually blend wheat with the rye. I've tried oats numerous times and never had great luck. I think the cold gets them.

In total acres and lbs. I plant more rye than wheat. I just use the wheat differently. Either one could make a good hunting plot. Regarding radishes, I planted them for the first time last year and was stunned at how the deer jumped on them and stayed there till some fields were wiped out. Original intent was to break up soil but this yr. I'm planting a lot more for both the soil and attractant.

Same thing with the lupines. I've planted them a couple yrs. now and once the deer get on them they don't stop till gone. I use them purely as attractant. They don't grow as well here as up north [ Co., Wy etc.] where I see them growing wild looking awesome.

Comment

thanks for the information on the wheat recommendations. I have 6 new acres for fall planting, I think I might give a couple to the wheat for a try

Comment

We had a recent meeting with various landowners with farms up and down the bayou I live on. For the last 15+ years we have hired a deputized patrolman to help control poaching. Unfortunately without control in our neighborhood poaching can be a real problem. So we hire someone complete with boat to patrol the bayou and bordering farms from October thru February. He's there mostly at night but early and late on key days as well. Very helpful to have a cooperative to split the cost among a group.

When I first started managing this property I had a sheriff in full uniform on horseback patrolling the property to try and help me get control. Poaching was rampant and in fact he even had a loon shoot at him one day with a 30-06. I used the legal system to solve that problem.

The problem is greatly diminished now but we all have too much investment of passion and $ to let thieves creep back in. It is one of the downsides to rural La.

On the bright side fall planting is just around the corner, bucks will be shedding velvet soon and bow season starts in less than 2 months. And the bucks look really good!

Comment

^good for you guys!

Post up some velvet pics!

Comment

OK was planning to wait a bit and show 'hit list bucks' and why. Since I think they are thru growing I'll show 'the big 3' . Starting with the 12 I've shown before here he is fully filled out I think.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a buck I call lopsided. He does not photo well. He is huge...I think high 190's if not 200. Since there are so many..."score this buck" threads floating around consider this one as well as the 12 in the previous photo. BTW think this buck to be 6.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Lastly a buck called Rolling Stone. Also a 6 or 7 yr old. My strategy for this yr is to try to get the 12 first. If my neighbor get him I'll go after lopsided. This buck will not get shot. I am happy letting him go even if he ends up succumbing to old age. What do you think he score? Again suspect he may be bigger than you think.The 'smaller' 11 pt in the pic is easily in the 160's.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X