A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    I have one more trip to the ranch to wrap up the season. Been a fun year.Since October 1 Ive probably spent 60-75% either on the farm or at the ranch with a camera. New Years for me starts Feb 1 and will be time to focus on other things. Will start a video series on the regenerative practices we have initiated on the farm. But first will put together video from the season.

Here are a few we are leaving for another year. Crappy photos taken from video on tv. More to come.{ No idea how to get photos to post properly }
    This deer is unbelievable. When people ask me what my dream deer is, i'll just revert to this pic.

Comment

Unbelievable thread! I spend a LOT of time on another hunting site and recently came back to this one. Best thread I’ve ever read. Congrats on your success, it amazing to me….you are definitely living my dream!….congrats again….

Comment

Those deer from Mexico this year are unbelievable. They are all jaw droppers!

Comment

How big do you think that typical in post #3125 is? How many more years before you start hunting him? Thats a hell of a typical, looks like 185" in that picture to me

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
            How big do you think that typical in post #3125 is? How many more years before you start hunting him? Thats a hell of a typical, looks like 185" in that picture to me
            Wow! That deer is what dreams are made of. It is hard for us to understand what you have there on that place if you let deer like this walk! Stronger man than me!

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
              You are probably close on the score. He has a short 4-5" non typical point and base of g3 left side. Probably a 6 yr old. He will have to grow quite a bit before a target.

The big non typical is 200" +/- at 7 . He could be in harms way next yr. The dark horned deer high 90's. Actually broke a g4 off in velvet, so no chance he would be chased this yr . Probably 6-7 yr old { couple of us debating his age} . He was right at 200 last year.

Comment

Since the 10 seems popular here is head on. Not such a great pic but we have good video. I'll post all these bucks and more in video once I put it together .
                Attached Files

Comment

The mass these deer have even in their tines is unreal.

Comment

What a great thread thanks for sharing.

Comment

First shed of the year from the farm. 9 yr old. Had everyone that hunts the farm on the lookout for him but was never seen. 22 1/2" mass. 27 6/8" main beam. Was about 200" couple years ago. Holding up pretty well for an old man.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Amazing mass

Comment

Suppose its time for a deer update from the farm. After the 2020/2021 season being so disrupted by Hurricane Laura I wasn't sure what to expect from the farm this year. We lost any number of deer and with so much of the timber blown down was hard to find anything.Trail cam pictures this past summer were encouraging but it was obvious this season would be a rebuilding year. We saw a few of the older known bucks but also were missing a bunch. The good news was that there were a lot of younger bucks 3 and younger as well as a few great looking 4 and 5 year olds.

Our harvest strategy this year was to stop population growth. We didn't shoot but a very few does the previous season and thus had a generous fawn crop this past summer. With that the 2021/22 season we removed 25 does and 5 bucks. All of the bucks were older bucks I wanted removed. Nonetheless there were several other bucks I wanted removed but never created an opportunity. All hunting had to take place in blinds on the plots because the woods are impenetrable. That said I did have one terrific morning where I rattled up 13 bucks. Big fun!

With the introduction of regenerative practices { something I will begin posting a lot about shortly } we are beginning to clean up the woods, improve the plots , and transform the farm rather dramatically. I think this years deer harvest results will poise the herd for a strong rebound and continued improvement resulting from increasing ecological enhancement.

Exciting times

Comment

Thanks for the update. In for the forth coming info on regenerative practices.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Thanks for the update. In for the forth coming info on regenerative practices.
                              X2! Looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                First shed of the year from the farm. 9 yr old. Had everyone that hunts the farm on the lookout for him but was never seen. 22 1/2" mass. 27 6/8" main beam. Was about 200" couple years ago. Holding up pretty well for an old man.
                                Funny... of course I looked at the pic before I read the post. I took one look. Tines close together. My first thought was crazy mass but short beam. Then I read 27 6/8 long beam!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X