No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics of the top end bucks have been hard to come by. Everything is so lush this year any sightings are rare. Here is what looks like a nice 4 and 5 yr old. Think we might know the one on the right thats showed some growth over last year.
    Attached Files

Comment

Aging bucks in summer is crude at best. Nonetheless this looks like a youngster to me. If so he will be fun to watch .
      Attached Files

Comment

Wowzers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That dude has some crazy stuff going on.

Comment

I toured my farm Monday with Dr. Allen Williams from Understanding Ag to look at farm wide regenerative ag approach for improving soils and ecosystem. Candidly I was blown away by the visit, his knowledge, and how overlapped our philosophies are. I have hired him and his company to develop a farm wide program utilizing multi level animal/fowl additions, crop strategies, infrastructure needs, marketing strategies...all things to make a farm wide program work.

I'm excited. Time to go big or go home!
            Last edited by elgato; 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Man, this is going to be awesome!! I can’t wait to follow along and see all the changes!

Comment

I'm missing a ton of older bucks down south. Im hopeful it's just the mesquite bean crop. If it was 1 or two i would be more worried for them.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  I toured my farm Monday with Dr. Allen Williams from Understanding Ag to look at farm wide regenerative ag approach for improving soils and ecosystem. Candidly I was blown away by the visit, his knowledge, and how overlapped our philosophies are. I have hired him and his company to develop a farm wide program utilizing multi level animal/fowl additions, crop strategies, infrastructure needs, marketing strategies...all things to make a farm wide program work.

What did he think of the bucks you have already grown? He might have been taking a few notes himself.

Comment

I hope the Dr doesn’t have anything against growing exceptionally large whitetail buck deer. Hate to see anything happen on that end.

Comment

He's a smart guy. Didn't take him long to realize that a) whitetails are a priority! b) The program in place for them is working extremely well c) Don't screw with the deer program. d) he figured out that anything he does has to compliment or improve the life of the deer.

To that end one of the biggest areas of opportunity is grazing cattle and sheep in the woods. I have been thinning timber annually for years. The succession starts terrifically the first year and the second year continues highly effective for deer. By the third year it starts getting tall and dense with diminishing returns thereafter. I don't get around to thinning a track fro another 6-8 years after diminishing returns set in from a forage perspective.

By mob grazing the woods, it keeps succession more representative of the first couple years after thinning which is highly desired.

From there he pointed out that my approach to no till /roller crimping would never achieve the results that intensive rotational grazing will provide resulting from the impact on the soil microbiology. In essence he is saying that soil microbiology requires grazing stock to fully function. His scientific justification of that is too lengthy for me to type but believable. What I know is that I have not seen the response from my soils from my current methodology that I believe possible.

Just as an FYI Ted Turner has hired his company to establish regenerative ag on all his properties . Beyond that his resume is incredible especially for a guy that got his undergrad from Clemson. He was smart enough to shift to LSU for his PhD.

Comment

Little better pic of this guy
                        Attached Files

Comment

THATS WHAT I’M TALKIN BOUT!!!!
                          And that other pig in the back!!!!

Comment

Holy guacamole, you are doing my “mega millions plan”!!!!!

I will definitely have to tag along for this whole thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Little better pic of this guy

Meh...he's ok if you like pencil horned deer.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Meh...he's ok if you like pencil horned deer.
                                That’s what I was thinking. It would be cool if he kept that palmation after he sheds his velvet

Comment

Working...
                                X