Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    What is a Red Ripper?
    Red rippers are a vining pea similar to cow peas. They also produce a nice edible pod thats god to eat[ like cow peas when allowed] Generally I find them more expensive than iron clay cow peas which is why I rarely use them. Another pea I've planted occasionally is purple hull peas. Course my motive wasn't just to feed deer but to pick a batch for me. They are all good choices just depends on budget and what grows best in your area.

Comment

Rusty,

Tell us more about the logistics of mob grazing

Will you have to cross fence your property or use E-fence,etc to manage rotations?

thanks,
      bill

Comment

Rusty,

Will you have to cross fence your property or use E-fence,etc to manage rotations?

thanks,
        bill

Comment

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
          Rusty,

thanks,
          bill
          Not sure what Rusty's plan is but I don't see any other feasible and economic way to practice mob grazing without electric fence along a perimeter and breaking pieces off with temporary. Temporary polybraid and a solar energizer might be what is best based on what areas he wants to concentrate on. I typically run about 45,000 lbs/acre when I bring the cows in tight but that isn't too high in the high density grazing world.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

From here I think adding grazing stock utilizing mob grazing...intensive rotational grazing including grazing in the timber will make the next leap forward though I'm going to wait till I have more input from Dr. Williams before I begin to discuss and execute a full blown regenerative agriculture/permaculture program.

But I love a project and this has me really excited.
            Someone (TX Kronik) opened a can of worms to me here on TBH when I asked a question about cattle a few years ago. I jumped down that rabbit hole and haven't found the bottom yet. Allen Williams is an excellent person to talk to. I met Gabe Brown and Ray Archuleta, who both work with Allen, last year and that is the direction I have taken. Great guys willing to give you the practical answers and not the scientific peer reviewed answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
              Someone (TX Kronik) opened a can of worms to me here on TBH when I asked a question about cattle a few years ago. I jumped down that rabbit hole and haven't found the bottom yet. Allen Williams is an excellent person to talk to. I met Gabe Brown and Ray Archuleta, who both work with Allen, last year and that is the direction I have taken. Great guys willing to give you the practical answers and not the scientific peer reviewed answers.
              Don't recall seeing you post on this thread before but welcome. I'll appreciate any input as I start this journey. Gabe Brown and Ray Archuleta among others have been my internet mentors as I explore this path.

I have far more questions than answers at this point.
              Fencing? Today I can drive my entire farm without seeing an internal fence or gate. I like that. Easy enough to see how fields can be managed with electric wire.

No idea how to manage cattle in the woods however. I have over 1100 acre of managed timber with a very dense understory. The idea of mob grazing the woods to create a 'savannah ' like environment continually keeping succession in the earlier stages makes a lot of sense. No idea how to control that. I will be an eager student.

Water-- I have abundant water for wildlife. But don't see how it works for intensive rotational grazing smaller paddocks. I expect that infrastructure will need a lot of attention.

Then there are the questions of processing, marketing, etc etc where I will need a lot of help. I believe this is an overall multi year giant project from where I am now to a farm wide program that is an ecological and economic success.

Comment

Mob grazing has always been a fascination of mine. It makes perfect sense from a range/pasture management standpoint, but the logistics have always scared me away. I’ll be very interested in following along with this new endeavor!!

Comment

For any of you that find the regenerative ag/permaculture idea intriguing there is a youtube film entitled " The Biggest Little Farm" . Not sure I will/can do all that with my farm but it is directional to my interest.

In the mean time starting to get some pics. will post a few soon

Comment

I'm out on the grazing deal. I don't have a clue. Now lets get on to pics please!

Comment

Ok so much for ecological discussions here is an 8 yr old. he's been about the same for the last 3 years mid 190's. He's very rarely seen during the season though I think I'll give him one more pass just to see how he ages. I posted velvet footage of him last year on my youtube channel. Great mass.
                      Attached Files

Comment

One of the fun experiments on the farm is watching how La. deer. age. Lots of discussions and experience with south Texas/Mexico deer but La. is not known for letting bucks age. here is a 9 yr old. He looks about the same as he did when he was 4. Frame has been identical and score hasn't varied a few inches. Suspect he will make some hunter very happy this year.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I just watched the trailer to the Biggest Little Farm. I can’t wait to have time to watch this .

Comment

I just watched the trailer to the Biggest Little Farm. I can’t wait to have time to watch this .

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              Ok so much for ecological discussions here is an 8 yr old. he's been about the same for the last 3 years mid 190's. He's very rarely seen during the season though I think I'll give him one more pass just to see how he ages. I posted velvet footage of him last year on my youtube channel. Great mass.
                              You know you are headed in the right direction when a mid190s no longer meets expectations. Maybe his mass will get him in the 200s. Looks like he has a lot.

Comment

Awesome pics Rusty! Having grown up hunting LA deer, this thread continues to be super fascinating. Good luck this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X