No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever find this one's sheds (from post # 2758)?

Comment

Originally posted by Tester View Post
      Did you ever find this one's sheds (from post # 2758)?
      I have walked for hours looking with no luck. In fact, sheds in general have been hard to find this year. I am guessing that all the timber work over the years has made shed hunting harder. That plus the plots were knee deep when they started dropping. Maybe I'll find some with the tractor tires

Comment

The crimson is in full bloom and beautiful. I'll be double cropping the crimson fields with summer annuals . Also plan to try straight buckwheat in one field that is crimson and wheat.

Seed has been ordered and summer planting plans made. Intend to start 3rd week of April all things considered. Will video all.

In mean time if rainy this weekend will put video together of last season at El Gato
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          The crimson is in full bloom and beautiful. I'll be double cropping the crimson fields with summer annuals . Also plan to try straight buckwheat in one field that is crimson and wheat.

Seed has been ordered and summer planting plans made. Intend to start 3rd week of April all things considered. Will video all.

In mean time if rainy this weekend will put video together of last season at El Gato

Im that case I’ll pray for rain! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BillyloMexico View Post
            Im that case I’ll pray for rain! Lol

Agreed! I love watching all of these videos

Comment

Beautiful stuff Rusty. Love that clover pic.

Comment

Love all the updates!

I’m primed and ready for planting this year.
                4.5 acres total on a 43 acre property (2 of them for dove)

Your content has been a strong inspiration. Thank you for taking the time to put it all out there for us.

Comment

Did the bad storms get you over the weekend or is that further North than you?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    Did the bad storms get you over the weekend or is that further North than you?
                    No, we were lucky. Thanks for asking.

Since I'm typing here is a farm update. I'll do a video as we start planting but lots of odds and ends going on now.

Rye grass is a perennial problem here and its always too wet this time of year to spray with tractor. So we rigged a 35 gallon spray tank on the back of a Polaris and sprayed all the clover fields with cleth. Got a great burn on the rye grass and the fields look great now.

Mowed all the roads and a couple of the clover fields that are better drained got mowed. This knocked down the radishes, turnips and small grains that were growing releasing the clover.

The crimson is just about done. Seed is ordered for spring planting and weather considered we intend to start planting either late next week or early the following week .I'm planing about 42 acres of multi specie legume deer mix. More on that to come.

Also a buddy gave me about 1000 lbs of milo. My plan will be to set the drill on 10 lbs/acre and hit openings all over the farm. I'll also mix it in at about 1 lb /acre in summer mix. Will also start feeding doves all over farm in a perfectly legal way until the appropriate time before season opens.

Feeders have been kept full from February till green up which started a couple weeks ago. At that time protein consumption stopped so we stopped putting pellets out till early May when we will resume till the end of August.

Exciting time of year. I believe late winter up until green up is a critical time to maximize a deer herd. Does are pregnant. Bucks are recovering from the rut, licking their wounds. Both sexes start molting which is a material energy drain. And food supplies can be weakest of any time of year. All this defines what shape antler growth begins with, doe conditioning for fawn birth and milk production, as well as dealing with the highly variable weather conditions. Can be very stressful.

Comment

Short video of buck in above pic. Quality low but bored so made the video anyway.https://youtu.be/N1MWsvpsLtY

Comment

Rusty I’m going to take an educated guess and say he’s your number one target for next year?

Comment

Rusty I’m going to take an educated guess and say he’s your number one target for next year?

Comment

He's a hammer too. Beautiful deer thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                              That is a safe assumption .

Ordered 5 tons of protein to refill feeders starting May 1. Consumption very low but I know that will pick up quickly.

Picked up 15 bags of minerals going out today. This is the same material from same quarry as trophy rock. Does it do any good? I don't know but not expensive and easy to do. Been doing it for years and not stopping now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                                X