No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know if we need to arrange a search party for that big deer sheds!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
      Let us know if we need to arrange a search party for that big deer sheds!
      LOL and yes! I walked 12567890102938 miles last year looking for his sheds with no luck. I've already walked several hours this year with no luck. I'm off to a wedding in Mexico this weekend but intend to start a full assault when I return home. Will recruit any and all to help.

One challenge is the food plots in the area are knee deep now and you bout have to step on a shed to find. Gonna get a dog to help.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Here is the shed to help put photo in perspective.
        25 3/8 mb
        5,12 /48, 12 /28,7, on tines
        19 7/8 mass

I believe this buck to be 5 and the big one to be 6 with a fair amount of confidence. Amazing to me how recoynx cameras shrink bucks in night time pics.
        Funny you should mention the Reconyx camera Rusty. I have a single Reconyx but mostly run Bushnell cameras. While the Reconyx has superior battery life and quick detection, it's pictures are off a little. I routinely go through 10,000+ pics monthly over all my cameras. I've found myself saving very few Reconyx taken pics. The camera is in a very good spot and takes tons of pictures, nice pictures. However, the buck photos always feel shrunk to me also. Not in picture size, but the subject (deer) seems smaller. I thought I was going crazy, so I am glad another deer manager like yourself noticed the same. As always, I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your deer.

Comment

Any luck with the big sheds? It's been tough looking here in east Texas - food plots are super thick and tall.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
            Funny you should mention the Reconyx camera Rusty. I have a single Reconyx but mostly run Bushnell cameras. While the Reconyx has superior battery life and quick detection, it's pictures are off a little. I routinely go through 10,000+ pics monthly over all my cameras. I've found myself saving very few Reconyx taken pics. The camera is in a very good spot and takes tons of pictures, nice pictures. However, the buck photos always feel shrunk to me also. Not in picture size, but the subject (deer) seems smaller. I thought I was going crazy, so I am glad another deer manager like yourself noticed the same. As always, I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your deer.

You’re not crazy, Reconyx has a slightly shorter focal length lens. It makes for a smidge wider field of view, catching more of the action. But, the trade off is smaller subjects in frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In an effort to self isolate thought I would show few things about plots in March.https://youtu.be/t5V_aNOuZh8

Comment

Another excellent video! Very interesting how different those first two fields look considering they were planted the same! Amazing what a difference moisture had on them!

Comment

Just watched it. Great information!
                  I can’t believe that plot where the radishes and turnips failed is so clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    You’re not crazy, Reconyx has a slightly shorter focal length lens. It makes for a smidge wider field of view, catching more of the action. But, the trade off is smaller subjects in frame.
                    Do you think Covert Code Blacks are the same way? We way under guessed some 160-170 class deer this year in the night time pics.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                        Do you think Covert Code Blacks are the same way? We way under guessed some 160-170 class deer this year in the night time pics.
                        IR pics at night will short deer on mass for sure.

Comment

With all the social isolation going on, thought I'd post another video. Not top drawer content but hey, I'm digging in the footage to find stuff. Planted these trees last weekend.

Comment

With all the social isolation going on, thought I'd post another video. Not top drawer content but hey, I'm digging in the footage to find stuff. Planted these trees last weekend.
                            https://youtu.be/Ex16gIBP70E

Rusty,
                            Do you plan on watering these saplings? I can't do that in Texas without making sure they would get plenty of water to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                              Rusty,
                              Do you plan on watering these saplings? I can't do that in Texas without making sure they would get plenty of water to survive.
                              No, the scale is too large. With over 6000 trees and 15 acres will just have to let nature take its course. Many of the trees were planted in standing water so with any luck on summer rains they should do fine.

I should note, the trees were free I just paid the planting expense. I'm ok with whatever happens

Comment

https://youtu.be/Ex16gIBP70E

They’re planting sweet gum?!?! I hate those dang things.

Comment

Working...
                                X