A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tester View Post
    Great video - I've always had trouble with deer eating my okra! I haven't observed them eating the actual okra (seed pods) but they love the leaves. After they strip the leaves, it will keep putting on leaves and they continue to eat them.

I have a question about spring plots - I know you like Joint Vetch and I want to try it this year. Any suggestion on when to plant or what to plant or what I might should do to prepare this winter is appreciated.

I'm in Lufkin, Tx so we should have similar weather.
    Interesting you ask about joint vetch. I'll be posting a short video on it imminently

You don't really need to do anything this winter though if you want to plant a little crimson clover and wheat it will help sweeten the soil for spring planting.I plant vetch in May. It is notoriously slow to get started but comes on strong as summer progresses. Vetch likes more moist conditions. Planting rate is about 20lbs/acre. I usually plant 10lbs vetch/acre mixed with 10lbs/acre of alyce clover. The two are very compatible reseeding annuals. The alyce can handle drier conditions complimenting the vetch nicely. Also cuts the cost...vetch is expensive.

Video in a bit

Comment

Awesome video, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Here's a ditty about joint vetch. It is one of my favorite deer foods. Some of the biggest bucks I have ever grown in La. were routinely seen grazing in vetch. Amazing plant and when mixed with Alyce clover which has very compatible management requirements it is a powerful tonic.

Comment

Tuned in!

Comment

El Gato will have the story to follow...

Comment

Doug is pretty jazzed about now!... OK pundits, Several of you were courageous enough to venture a guess earlier. Want to try again . I'll post the score in a bit. Hint...the right main beam was 28"

Comment

My goodness that buck is a brute!

Comment

Lawd a mercy! Congrats on a monster!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

157”?
                    Great deer

Comment

157”?
                      Great deer

Comment

Good lord
                        165”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I came up with 158. That’s a trophy.

Comment

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh and good grief what a rack!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

A six point with a few inches of drop. Can't be over 130 can he???? Just kidding since I have the scoop. Amazing deer . one of the neatest trophies I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X