No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With hunting season around the corner here are a few bucks from the ranch last year to jump start the excitement. As many brush country hunters know, the drought all antler growing season followed by a deluge of nearly 20" Sept/Oct compromised buck quality then made the hunting very difficult. Thus quality buck sightings were thin.Anyway...here you go

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      With hunting season around the corner here are a few bucks from the ranch last year to jump start the excitement. As many brush country hunters know, the drought all antler growing season followed by a deluge of nearly 20" Sept/Oct compromised buck quality then made the hunting very difficult. Thus quality buck sightings were thin.Anyway...here you go
      https://youtu.be/XweXOCW4bgY
      Fantastic video. I have been waiting to see a video like this from your Mexico ranch. Looks incredible! Thanks for taking the time, Rusty!

Comment

Great video Rusty. Thank you for taking your time to share all of your learnings so the rest of us can improve our ranches.

In my humble opinion this is the best thread on TBH!!!!

Comment

https://youtu.be/XweXOCW4bgY
          So your favorite is to stalk the deer, yet you open the video with a pair of BIG snakes right on the road. You crazy....
          No way I would be stalking anything through that brush country.

Comment

Great video. Really enjoyed it

Comment

Great video! Thanks ELGato

Comment

The ones just stating to bear nuts are 4 yrs old bought from Chestnut Hill I think. Dunstans. I'm quite surprised with how quickly they have started producing. They aren't loaded but still have a few nuts.
                elgato, I was going through your thread again and was just curious of how your chestnut trees are doing after a few more years...have the deer or any other wildlife been utilizing them?

I've been eyeing the Chestnull Hill Nursery Dunstans for our place to plant, and just wondering if they are worth the effort...or, if there are other viable trees to accompany the post oaks, water oaks and persimmons we have on our place.

Also, subscribed to your channel on youtube a while back and just want to say thanks for all the great information you put out there!

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                  So your favorite is to stalk the deer, yet you open the video with a pair of BIG snakes right on the road. You crazy....
                  No way I would be stalking anything through that brush country.
                  Yes sir, I would have checked out pretty quick. Great video as always Mr. Rusty.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                    elgato, I was going through your thread again and was just curious of how your chestnut trees are doing after a few more years...have the deer or any other wildlife been utilizing them?

I've been eyeing the Chestnull Hill Nursery Dunstans for our place to plant, and just wondering if they are worth the effort...or, if there are other viable trees to accompany the post oaks, water oaks and persimmons we have on our place.

Also, subscribed to your channel on youtube a while back and just want to say thanks for all the great information you put out there!
                    I like the chestnut trees a lot but appreciate I like to experiment. Nut production was pretty good last year and improving this year though I don't think there is a critter in La. that has the slightest idea what a chestnut is. Suspect it will be a slow learning curve before acceptance. Here's a pic. I probably have 20-30 trees and most of them are starting to bear.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a video on timber management we do here on the farm to benefit wildlife , enhance the habitat, and upgrade the timber.https://youtu.be/BfK7jUQnL5Q

Comment

My 5 year old Dunstans started producing last fall and were barely noticed by wildlife

This year, it looks like i sprayed herbicide around base of trees due to traffic and empty husks

They grow here but you have to really nurse them the first 2-3 years with supplemental water

bill

Comment

To clarify,

I bought them from Walmart (Chestnut Hill), so they were probably 2 to 3 years old when i planted them

bill

Comment

To clarify,

I bought them from Walmart (Chestnut Hill), so they were probably 2 to 3 years old when i planted them

bill

Comment

Here is a video on planting fall food plots, both clover fields and transitioning summer plots to fall plots.

Comment

Great video - I've always had trouble with deer eating my okra! I haven't observed them eating the actual okra (seed pods) but they love the leaves. After they strip the leaves, it will keep putting on leaves and they continue to eat them.

I have a question about spring plots - I know you like Joint Vetch and I want to try it this year. Any suggestion on when to plant or what to plant or what I might should do to prepare this winter is appreciated.

I'm in Lufkin, Tx so we should have similar weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X