No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome! This is going to be great to learn from. What camera are you using?

Comment

Suppose I should post the snake scene here as well. Pardon the double post.https://youtu.be/H2Ef4KXs4ng

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Suppose I should post the snake scene here as well. Pardon the double post.https://youtu.be/H2Ef4KXs4ng

That is astoundingly cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a brief clip showing an experiment I'm running to loosen some red clay on the farm

Comment

Here's a brief clip showing an experiment I'm running to loosen some red clay on the farm
            https://youtu.be/RDJGAiWe2lw

Elgato, I just finished watching this video and was wondering what amounts you would use for the ancillary items you mentioned in each of the mixes.
            In the fall mix, would the clover and turnips be along the same amounts as the daikons in the few-ish pounds per acre? Would a second legume such as hairy vetch do well in a mix like that?

Also, what rates you used for the buckwheat, sunflowers, millet, and sorghum in your summer mix.

I had initially been looking at just using a BOB mixture, but your previous mentioning of Gabe Brown and his methods sent me down a dozens of hours rabbit hole consuming every piece of video or literature content I could find on his methods and the matter as a whole. I wholeheartedly believe this is the proper direction I should go instead.

My soils sound somewhat similar to this field you described, but being blackland clay instead of red clay. It has previously been used for growing hay grazer in years when the soil was dry enough to plant, but of course it has been tilled each time. In fact, I don’t believe there have been more than a dozen years, since probably the 30’s, that it HASN’T been tilled.

Thank you so much for the time and effort put into these videos, and helping to educate us on a more holistic approach to food plotting.

Comment

Gabe Brown is an inspiration ! As I start to understand his approach and have experimented with multi specie cover cropping I have been amazed at what I have learned and actually experienced. It also has made me look at large scale agriculture in a whole new light.

Last year I was driving from my home to southern Ark. for a turkey hunt. Almost every farm I saw was in full tillage mode. The wind was blowing hard and giant clouds of dust was blowing away off the fields. After a 150 mile trip I think I saw one field that was in a winter cover crop.Simple to know that the next steps were massive amounts of fertilizer, pesticides, fungicides, herbicides...much of it sprayed by airplanes on GMO crops. Nothing about that experience appeared sustainable to me.

Enough of that. I haven't finalized my summer cocktail planting rates but roughly this is what I'm planning:
              Sunn hemp-5 lbs/acre
              cow peas 12 lbs/acre
              soybeans 10lbs/acre
              pearl millet 3 lbs/acre
              sunflower 3 lbs acre
              grain sorghum 3 lbs acre
              buckwheat 10 lbs acre
              Thats rough and will probably be refined some but fairly sure that is the plant species I'm going with.

Looking ahead to the fall I can get a bit closer to my plan:
              100 Lbs/acre rye or
              combination of rye and wheat totalling ~100 lbs/acre
              2-3 lbs acre radishes
              1 lb acre turnips. And if clover
              crimson at somewhere around 10 lbs/acre--That depends on what my goals fro crimson are.

I've been looking closely at my fields to determine if there are any I can skip an herbicide treatment before planting and I have selected all but one. So this spring I will FINALLY be moving forward effectively organic on the preponderance of my plots. Results to be posted here. I should add that part of the key to success with no herbicide will be the density of the summer planting chocking out weeds before they get started.
              Last edited by elgato; 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Appreciate ur post

Comment

Great video! Keep up the good work and thanks for bringing us along

Comment

Good info Rusty and thanks for taking the time to do it. Going to have to make the drive down from Winnfield one day just to watch..

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post
                      Good info Rusty and thanks for taking the time to do it. Going to have to make the drive down from Winnfield one day just to watch..
                      Winnfield is maybe 30 mins away. When you get to Marler Ford your minutes from my farm. Full tour anytime.

Comment

Winnfield is maybe 30 mins away. When you get to Marler Ford your minutes from my farm. Full tour anytime.
                        Man you could charge( and I would pay) to take one of those late summer afternoon cocktail safaris!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          Man you could charge( and I would pay) to take one of those late summer afternoon cocktail safaris!
                          Best deal in town, all tours free of charge and the cocktail safaris help make the La. summers habitable

Comment

Here is age progression from 4-7 on the buck posted earlier. A question for the viewing audience is length of video. This age progression is a bit over 4 mins. Your thoughts appreciated.

Comment

Here is age progression from 4-7 on the buck posted earlier. A question for the viewing audience is length of video. This age progression is a bit over 4 mins. Your thoughts appreciated.
                              https://youtu.be/v2BUx4xhWjI
                              Awesome video! I love following bucks from year to year. It’s always interesting to watch how they change, what the add or what they lose over the years.
                              Video length seemed just about perfect to me. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they were a little longer though

Comment

I like the video length. On the more detailed stuff, I would be a little longer on some of the more detail specific topics, and hit that 4-5 minute length on everything else. I would also look at doing a nice intro for your videos. The material is awesome. Thank you again for taking the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X