A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Actually we don't do anything to any of the predators here nor at the ranch. I used to try to control the coons because of feed predation then I figured out I simply needed to coon proof the feeders. Now I don't care about coons.

At the ranch we have as high a population of predators as imaginable including a robust supply of mountain lions. Doesn't seem to effect the deer herd at all though occasionally we will try to kill a lion if he becomes problematic.

The key is a healthy vibrant ecosystem starting from the worms and soil up thru the entirety of the system. And in my opinion it makes the property more interesting to see a diverse and healthy population of all the critters.
    Wise words..

Comment

Actually we don't do anything to any of the predators here nor at the ranch. I used to try to control the coons because of feed predation then I figured out I simply needed to coon proof the feeders. Now I don't care about coons.

At the ranch we have as high a population of predators as imaginable including a robust supply of mountain lions. Doesn't seem to effect the deer herd at all though occasionally we will try to kill a lion if he becomes problematic.

The key is a healthy vibrant ecosystem starting from the worms and soil up thru the entirety of the system. And in my opinion it makes the property more interesting to see a diverse and healthy population of all the critters.
      I really admire and agree with your management mindset. You've got some awesome deer!!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome like always Rusty!

Comment

I always look forward to seeing pictures of your bucks. Truly incredible!

Comment

If that deer is just four he may well be the biggest deer you have ever grown on that place when he is seven. He is crazy big this year.

Comment

Awesome deer Rusty

Comment

Nice thanks for sharing.

Comment

Elgato,

Have you decided on your fall mixes yet? This thread inspired me (along with the steep topography of my place) for me to go no till. I found an old Midland zip seeder no till drill at auction that I'll be using for the first time this fall. We'll be watching the weather closely for rain in the forecast leading up to October and will try to plant 4-6 acres as a trial run with the intent to gear up to eventually 15-20 acres on a 350 acre place. That's the best we can get with the topography, timber stands, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely, native homegrown no dmp, no genetic infusion, no ...well no nothing. Native stock on high nutrition allowed to age.
                    Proof positive it can be done

Comment

Dugga bull
                      Attached Files

Comment

My latest farm toy. An 8' I & J roller crimper. While I'm excited to see what it will do with some of the summer crops I think its real value will be next spring rolling the rye.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Feeding in the vetch just like the 8 posted above.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure you mentioned it but how long do the vetch fields last? Do you plant something else in them for the fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the main purpose for rolling the Rye to create a nice thatch layer on top which will improve water retention and increase organic matter? I'm guessing you'll drill brand into the Rye? I'm really interested to see how this roller helps. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X