No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last couple of days here. It took a close look to realize the #1 buck and #2 were different deer. All 3 of these came from the same joint vetch field which I think is one of the top southern deer foods. Also interesting is that they all have an inline nontypical point on their rt side same place about same size.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by elgato; 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Just got caught up, as always very impressive Rusty!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Goodness gracious!

Comment

elgato are these native Louisiana deer?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            elgato are these native Louisiana deer?
            Absolutely, native homegrown no dmp, no genetic infusion, no ...well no nothing. Native stock on high nutrition allowed to age.

Comment

Amazing as always. Congratulations.

Comment

Every time this thread is updated my heart races! Love the pics Rusty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome management and, if I recall correctly, you don't actively try to eradicate bobcats, coyotes, coons etc. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
                    Awesome management and, if I recall correctly, you don't actively try to eradicate bobcats, coyotes, coons etc. ?
                    Actually we don't do anything to any of the predators here nor at the ranch. I used to try to control the coons because of feed predation then I figured out I simply needed to coon proof the feeders. Now I don't care about coons.

At the ranch we have as high a population of predators as imaginable including a robust supply of mountain lions. Doesn't seem to effect the deer herd at all though occasionally we will try to kill a lion if he becomes problematic.

The key is a healthy vibrant ecosystem starting from the worms and soil up thru the entirety of the system. And in my opinion it makes the property more interesting to see a diverse and healthy population of all the critters.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      Actually we don't do anything to any of the predators here nor at the ranch. I used to try to control the coons because of feed predation then I figured out I simply needed to coon proof the feeders. Now I don't care about coons.

At the ranch we have as high a population of predators as imaginable including a robust supply of mountain lions. Doesn't seem to effect the deer herd at all though occasionally we will try to kill a lion if he becomes problematic.

The key is a healthy vibrant ecosystem starting from the worms and soil up thru the entirety of the system. And in my opinion it makes the property more interesting to see a diverse and healthy population of all the critters.
                      Absolutely agree. Amazing what nature provides if we help a little and try to stay out of the way.

Comment

Uh Uh Uh, as always Whoppers keep it going thanks for sharing!

Comment

Super Star! Was an 8 last yr. Think he is just 4.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow Rusty, those are some great bucks !

Comment

great looking deer as usual sir

Comment

Rusty your bucks are looking awesome this year! Cant wait to see what is growing out at the ranch as well!

Comment

Working...
                                X