Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That stinks! Heck of a buck!

Comment

Unreal buck. Sorry brother.

Comment

I hate losing them like that but man what a heck of an 8!

Comment

Wow. 160" 8 pt.

Comment

Great 8!!!!

Comment

In an unusual twist I am mowing the radishes and turnips in my clover fields today. I planted 3 lbs of radishes and 1 lb ptt per acre in my clover fields. We have not had a measurable rain in over 2 months. But the brassicas are 2-3 ft tall and creating a full canopy. So I am mowing them about half so they don't choke out the clover which is the preferred cultivar in the plot.Next yr. I'll cut the rate in half.

Been a tough season this yr. Very slow.THe weather hasn't cooperated at all with hot temps and a heavy acorn load. Movement has been mostly nocturnal even though we have gone thru the peak of the rut. We have taken 6 bucks and 1 doe and have seen very few of the top end mature bucks..
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  One of the unfortunate side effects of a tight buck/doe ratio is we have regular mortality from fighting.THe rut is wide open now and unfortunately this guy was found dead beside the road with multiple puncture wounds. I guess the good news is we got the rack and cape. Neighbor scored him at 160".

Been a challenging season with the hot weather and mosquitos and we are behind on harvest. Hasn't rained in 2 months which doesn't help much either. Still food plots with especially the radishes look good.
                  Giant deer....and he was the LOOSER!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    In an unusual twist I am mowing the radishes and turnips in my clover fields today. I planted 3 lbs of radishes and 1 lb ptt per acre in my clover fields. We have not had a measurable rain in over 2 months. But the brassicas are 2-3 ft tall and creating a full canopy. So I am mowing them about half so they don't choke out the clover which is the preferred cultivar in the plot.Next yr. I'll cut the rate in half.

Been a tough season this yr. Very slow.THe weather hasn't cooperated at all with hot temps and a heavy acorn load. Movement has been mostly nocturnal even though we have gone thru the peak of the rut. We have taken 6 bucks and 1 doe and have seen very few of the top end mature bucks..

We are having the same issues not to far to the west of you across the border. To many acorns!

Comment

elgato, How is it going so far this year for you? Hope all is well.

Comment

we just received about an inch of rain this last week. First rain I have seen since June. Tough season for me growing food plots. Hope u got some rain this past week.

Comment

been almost a month since any postings. any updates? i just spent the past 4 hours a work reading this from the start of the thread. very good stuff!

Comment

Any updates Elgato? Like to see what has been taken this year of this wonderful place.

Comment

I have been waiting for this thread to pop back up, but figured Elgato is chasing Mexico bucks this time of year.

Comment

Elgato, how did your season go? How are the food plots holding up? The daikon radish did not handle the cold spell to well that we had couple weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X