A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    This is what I am thinking, lets hear the professionals opinions. I am disking all of it and then will broadcast/drag or drill it:

1 acre- 60lbs Elbon Rye, 100 lbs bob oats, 15 lbs Crimson

1.25 acres- 75 lbs Elbon Rye, 100 lbs wheat, 15 lbs Crimson
    1.25 acres- 75 lbs Elbon Rye, 100 lbs Bob oats, 15 lbs Crimson

1 acre- 50 lb Top Notch Widlife Mix

I am thinking of this split to experiment with it all and see what they like and don't like. Any glaring things that I can improve on or am doing wrong?

Overseeding?

Those should be good mixes. Keep in mind they will be finished about first of May. The small grains will become unpalatable first followed by the crimson that will finish blooming out early May.

Not sure exactly what your goals are but will be an interesting experiment. I do it the other way around gunning for as much mulch or organic matter as possible. 100lbs rye with 50 lbs wheat. Then the crimson and I add radishes as well. Deer love them and the do cool things to the soil.

I don't know what top notch wildlife mix is?

Regarding your earlier questions, I add 2 lbs chicory to perennial clovers like durana. Chicory last for years and works well in a clover field.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      Those should be good mixes. Keep in mind they will be finished about first of May. The small grains will become unpalatable first followed by the crimson that will finish blooming out early May.

Not sure exactly what your goals are but will be an interesting experiment. I do it the other way around gunning for as much mulch or organic matter as possible. 100lbs rye with 50 lbs wheat. Then the crimson and I add radishes as well. Deer love them and the do cool things to the soil.

I don't know what top notch wildlife mix is?

Regarding your earlier questions, I add 2 lbs chicory to perennial clovers like durana. Chicory last for years and works well in a clover field.
      Not sure it is just a mix that the mill gets. It has a good mixture of stuff.

I would get chicory but its pretty expensive and its not a big operation I want to do.

THanks for the help

Comment

Watch out for the premixed wildlife mixes. Many of them contain a lot of rye grass as a filler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
          Watch out for the premixed wildlife mixes. Many of them contain a lot of rye grass as a filler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          None in this

Wheat 15%
          Oats 32%
          Barley 20%
          Rape 1%
          Crimson 2%
          WInter Pea 10%
          Triticale 20%
          Turnip 1%

Comment

Any pics/ideas on the hitlist this year? Culls, and trophy?

Comment

Will be converting fields over to the fall rotation soon and thought I would post this. Peas, beans, sunflower and sunn hemp. The peas are swallowing the hemp.

I plan to mow it as high as the mower deck will go as soon as it dries out enough as I don't think I can drill thru this.

Man, talk about food that equals cover...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Here are a couple finished out. They are both safe this yr. Only top end buck I'm interested in chasing so far is the 8 posted earlier. every now and then you get a year where you need to rebuild. We are running cameras now and I'll post anything interesting we find. Mostly identifying bucks we want removed.

As of today everything is planted. 130 acres worth.We started last week and many of the plots are already up. That is the value of a no till drill directly into the summer thatch
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do have this none from the ranch thats interesting
                    Attached Files

Comment

^^^^Shoot Him Rusty^^^^

Comment

Do have this none from the ranch thats interesting

Shoot him opening morning! Don't let him breakup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That Mexico deer is one of a kind. Good luck with him and thanks for posting.

Comment

I'm very happy with the summer to fall planting transition. This was a summer legume field drilled earlier this week with the fall blend. Everything is up. Rye, wheat, radishes, and crimson in a field I plant peas , beans, sunn hemp and sunflowers as a summer blend. Amazing how drilling into thatch conserves moisture and aides quick germination.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great pic Rusty! True testament that the best way to "bank" moisture is to keep the soil covered at all times.

Sent from my GS7

Comment

Rather handsome. Rifle season opened for us today.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X