Ok burn complete, now what ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok burn complete, now what ?

Do I plant something under the pine trees or just let the natural foliage come back?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	25009515

Lots of sun on the ground after the thinning
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	24289461

Comment

i'd just let nature do her work...she knows best
      Last edited by doppelganger; 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Maybe rye grass, it does good in shade

Comment

Beautiful spots. I'd let it go natural. Native grasses and all kinds of deer forbs will be popping up I bet.

Come back on here later and post up some before and after pics.

Comment

What do you want to get out of the land? you could do some sort of grass or fruit trees

Comment

Looks good. I have a couple areas ready to burn but I need to get out of our burn ban first.

Comment

Looks great. I miss living where there are pine trees.

Comment

Nicely done, sir. I want to burn off part of my lease, but it would be a huge project manpower wise because there is such heavy underbrush. For now, I mow it as much as I can since that is the next best thing that I know of.

As for planting, that is going to depend on soil and climate conditions in the area, as well as the game species that you are wanting to attract.

Get in touch with your local biologist, or even someone at the NWTF for some advice on how to proceed.

If you don't want to fiddle with a biologist, mother nature will always take care of it for you.

Comment

If you have the time and money, I would research native vegetation for the area and plant that. However, the majority of the time, a burn can just be left alone and most of the natural flora will return.

Just watch out for opportunistic species like youpon and briar bushes that can take over in a hurry.

Comment

Looks like you got a good burn so all you need is a good rain or two. Doesn't take much and it'll be so green you won't even be able to tell it burned except for the black around the base of your trees. Burning does amazing things for wildlife of all kinds. Great job!

Comment

You will probably be surprised at all the native grass seed that is in the soil just waiting to grow.

If you decide to plant for wildlife here is a good source for any mix you want. They ship by UPS and you can get your seed in just a few days.

Comment

You've done all you need to do, now you just need rain.

Comment

Thanks guys
                            I'm a little worried about goat weed coming up as it seems to grow anywhere there is a bare spot of ground in this country.
                            It was mostly american beauty berry before the burn.
                            It seems to be the only thing that can grow through the pine straw

Comment

no rye grass, let nature do its thing and next fall u can add clover if u want

Comment

Working...
                              X