No announcement yet.

2014 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good luck to you fellas. I will be lucky if i get back up before the end of the year. headed to STEX tomorrow for a meat haul.

Comment

Good luck Peeps, and homegrown, that eagle footage was awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
        Good luck Peeps, and homegrown, that eagle footage was awesome!

Agreed! Always cool to see Eagles on your place. Beautiful birds.

I've been on trips to Houston, Shreveport, Des Moines, Orlando, Bloomington (IL) and a loooong weekend at Hagerman NWR in the past month and a half. I'll be staying at home this weekend getting rested up and caught up on chores around the house.

Please post up your exploits and take us along! Good luck this weekend guys.

Comment

Today was slow. Seen a few doe this morning but they cruised right by the pile. Nada this evening. Rained on me all night and early today but quit by lunchtime. I really thought they would be up & moving this afternoon but not where I was sitting. Gonna move a cam and get some food on the ground for tomorrow. Hoping for better results than today.
          Good luck to all!

Comment

I was able to get away yesterday for an evening hunt last night and soon to start duck hunt this am. I am in the pool business and work is slow in the holiday season, well it hasn't been like that this year, it is crazy busy and has hampered my hunting efforts!

My report from last night is positive, I set the same stand on a large food plot where I saw megatron last Friday . He did not make an appearence though . I did see 12 does and a 125 3 yr old 8. The deer were moving well. I did get these pictures at 5:00 from another stand while I was sitting :

2 large mature bucks eating at the feeder together. I would say the deer are transitioning back to bachelor groups and a heavy feed patter. The next 2 weeks are my favorite time to hunt here in OK.

Best of luck to the guys hunting this weekend. I would make sure you have your cameras out and feed on the ground to start establishing patterns . The mature bucks should start moving in daylight hours .

Comment

Fri morning my daughter shot a big black boar at 35 yards with a .243 we couldn't find blood although I know she hit it. They're def tough critters. I really wanted to recover it for her. A out an hr later had a young 8 and spike come to feeder.
              Fri evening we saw 2 doe and 4 yearlings come in, oh and the craziest hing ie seen while hunting I believe.. An otter came across my food plot on a powerline cut! Yeah otter!! Back on stand this morning had a few doe on plot when we walked in but thankfully with the green "kill light" we waked in with they just walked off unspooked. Talked to a older man we lease from he has seen a giant buck several times this year cross his 20 acres we put a small food plot outside his window so he can watch the deer he said the other day he looked out at 9:20 am and saw the giant buck feeding with a identical TWIN! He said it's the biggest deer he's ever saw out here!! Smh!! He was born and rises in Atoka/string town so I'm pretty sure he knows what a big buck looks like! I showed him some pics and tried to gather jnfo on what height score I'm gathering 160-180"Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418479584.298248.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	24351154

Comment

Peeps, great job on the hog! Tell your daughter congrats for us. Hopefully you guys will be able to recover it and she can bask in the glow of her kill.

Sounds like you have some added incentive to get into the woods. 160-180" is a toad. Get after them!

Q, good Intel in the feeding patterns. There is hope for my season yet! travel has been crazy. Was in Illinois this week but not for hunting.

We are going to try to get back to the mountains over the New Years weekend.

Homegrown, any activity?

Good luck to all!

Comment

Off topic but I finally got around to finishing our opening weekend 2014 dove hunting video.

Comment

I hadn't seen much at all. Cameras are not taking as many pics and the crows are ravaging what I'm putting out. Headed back in where the wormhole 10 got his pic taken in daylight hoping that something shows before dark.

Comment

Headed south with an empty cooler again. Our camp is a muddy nasty mess and with more rain coming this afternoon and few deer seen I'm out. I did get to watch a young 8 that came in yesterday afternoon. He showed up at 4:30 and ate for about 20 minutes before bedding down only 23 yds from me. Had another deer start to come in from behind me at last light but it just got too dark. Was back in that same stand at 6:15 this morning and didn't see anything. Not even the squirrels were active. I sat until it started raining again-1:15 ish and called it quits.

Comment

Shot a pretty big 8 on Sunday morning. When I got to full draw and rested my 20 yard pin on his heart I noticed a small clump of twigs were in the way. Out of adrenaline rush I made poor judgment and moved my pin back a few inches to miss the twigs. Thinking I'd be in the lungs... After waiting 30 minutes to check my arrow, I found dark red blood and the smell of iron all signs of a liver shot. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy tracking job and was pretty upset about my quick decision. Five hours later we started looking for a trail and found three spots of blood the size of my hand. After the last spot the trail petered out to speckles. That evening a huge rain came in and washed all hope away. The next two days we searched the creek bottom and ridge with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Vantage Point View Post
                          Shot a pretty big 8 on Sunday morning. When I got to full draw and rested my 20 yard pin on his heart I noticed a small clump of twigs were in the way. Out of adrenaline rush I made poor judgment and moved my pin back a few inches to miss the twigs. Thinking I'd be in the lungs... After waiting 30 minutes to check my arrow, I found dark red blood and the smell of iron all signs of a liver shot. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy tracking job and was pretty upset about my quick decision. Five hours later we started looking for a trail and found three spots of blood the size of my hand. After the last spot the trail petered out to speckles. That evening a huge rain came in and washed all hope away. The next two days we searched the creek bottom and ridge with no luck.

That's a heartbreaker Vantage Point. Not sure how it is in your area but the yotes are pretty healthy on our place. You could run across him while shed hunting in the next month or two.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Vantage Point. I've been there myself, nothing anybody says can make it any easier to swallow. Like Booner said, maybe you will find him when your not expecting to. Anybody gonna hunt this next week? I'm trying to get up there one last time day after Christmas. Supposed to be leaving on the 1st for a New Mexico mule deer archery hunt. Really hoping I can fill some tags this weekend.

Comment

Well boys I am prepping my gear to make one last run to the mountains this weekend. Hoping for some late season magic over our food plots.

Heading up on Friday with the Browning 30.06 and bow in hand. Hoping to pop a doe or three on Friday and then hunt for horns the rest of the weekend. Looks like rain is in the forecast so I'll probably be sitting in a popup for at least part of Saturday. Haven't checked my primary cams up at Wall's Rough in many moons so I am itching to see who has made an appearance.

Can't believe that we are staring down the barrel of another season's end. A my FIL would say, I've been riding a fat horse for a long time now. 2014 has been a humbling experience. Maybe the Good Lord has saved the best for last.

Anybody else hitting the mountains over the holidays?

Comment

Good luck, Micah, I'll be living vicariously through you buddy. My hunting season is done until Turkey season.

Comment

Working...
                                X