No announcement yet.

2014 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Them nope no buck it was our neighbor climbing in his box blind 400 yards away at 5:00pm. We'll at 5:03 pm I see a buck crossing thru my binos right in front of his box blind then I hear him shoot and he dropped the buck in his tracks. I meet up with our neighbor on the county road to see what he shot and it's the buck we call (pretty boy) that I shot opening weekend with my bow.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417977861.874474.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	24350291RIP (pretty boy)

Comment

We saw a fair amount of does. No shots fired though.

Comment

That is an awesome buck Blake. Too bad he didn't get through rifle season. (He nearly made it)

On the positive side of things you have closure as you know his fate.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Well....missed a buck on Nov 20th that we all dream about. I wasn't sure which buck he was out of a few that we had on camera. I thought it was either one of these two:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090075.791921.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	24350523

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090114.805719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	24350525
            (Same deer)
            Or this one:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090144.854174.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	24350526

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090163.096291.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24350527

Both are nice deer and I'd shoot them in a heartbeat and they'd be the biggest I've seen in person BY FAR, but when we got picks of a THIS buck, I knew THIS was the buck I missed

My girlfriend and I were sitting there on the ground 26 yards from the bait pile and I see movement to my left. I look up and see its a BIG buck, reached down and grabbed my HeliM and got ready. He started trotting from my left to my right, nose to the ground and grunting the whole time. I tried to stop him twice and he didn't cooperate. He went into the timber then made a 90 degree turn and came to my right now at my 3 o'clock, this time he stopped when I grunted at him.

I had him at 31 yards and because of the steep grade he was on and I couldn't get him to stop in the "kill zone" I had pre-ranged, I misjudged him and thought he was at 40, the FMJ went right over his back and stuck in a tree.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090755.979288.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	24350533

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090775.387898.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24350534

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090794.201059.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	24350535

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418090808.422726.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24350536

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418091908.745077.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	24350550

Complete GIANT, acorn fed, Kiamichi mountain buck. He stayed in the area and we had some more pics of him and he stayed in the area for about 3 weeks. I went down there last Monday night and he had been in there about 2AM on the last 2 days, with only one shooting light pic (5:45 PM) in 3 weeks but at least there was hope and he didn't scare too bad from his near miss with death.

I hunted hard all week and the rain and moon didn't cooperate.....I was getting burned out and last night I sat in a new ladder stand we put up overlooking the bait pile of hand corn and that secret weapon (rice bran) that we all know about.

At the very last moment of legal light, I saw what looked like a high racked buck come down the trail. At first I thought it was that big sucker. I threw my scope up on my .270 and saw it was a big bodied 8 point that had a broken main beam at the tip of his right side. I decided that this might be my last chance at a buck for the year because of my work and child schedule. I settled in on his shoulder and made the 20 yard chip shot with a 130 grain Core Lokt. He lurched and ran uphill from where he came from and fell over stone dead 30 yards away. Perfect heart shot on the autopsy afterwords, only a lime sized piece of his heart was left and his lungs were jello. Stevie Wonder could follow that blood trail.

This was my first Oklahoma buck and what a difference in size from Texas . He ain't a trophy but he was a nice consolation prize for how hard I hunted this week and he'll eat the same as any other one. I had no 4 wheeler and had to skin and quarter him at the base of that mountain and carry him up a piece at a time. Took me almost 4 hours.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418091647.978120.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	24350545

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418091665.203827.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	24350546

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418091686.996985.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24350547

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418091701.270743.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24350548

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418091714.293884.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	24350549

I might have one more, two more opportunities max left this year to try and get on that big sucker again. Who knows if he split already, we never had him on TC, he just showed up that morning I shot at him and stuck around. I'm sick that I missed but lessons were learned. The Kiamichis are like that, they tend to teach them the hard way
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Daniel75; 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Congrats Daniel! Those mountain bucks are wiley! Kudos for sticking with it. Folks that haven't hunted the area won't appreciate the work, scouting and dedication it takes to consistently harvest mature animals.

Savor these moments.

Once you are done savoring, get on it and get after big boy! He is a true giant.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                Congrats Daniel! Those mountain bucks are wiley! Kudos for sticking with it. Folks that haven't hunted the area won't appreciate the work, scouting and dedication it takes to consistently harvest mature animals.

Savor these moments.

Once you are done savoring, get on it and get after big boy! He is a true giant.

Thanks for sharing.
                Thanks Micah, the pressure is kinda off now and I can relax after shooting 2 deer and filling the freezer. I can concentrate on big boy my next trip or two and start making adjustments for next year.

Pig destruction is priority #1!

Comment

Congrats, Daniel! You ain't kidding about the body size of the bucks up in OK compared to TX, all the bucks I saw on the hoof this year blew me away. Of course most of what I saw was a white rump and tail! Good luck with Big Boy, my season is pretty much over. Due to the kids schedules and activities I can't get away anymore, so soak it up while you can, buddy!

Comment

Daniel, congrats my friend on a nice Oklahoma deer. Man oh man, that deer u missed is a giant.. At least you know now you have a true monster in your area. Sounds like you have had a great season.

Are any of yall planning on hunting into January this year ?

Comment

11 year old's first buck!

Well, we finally connected wit this small 7 pointer here in TX. He actually came in to a doe grunt and my son smoked him at 20 yards witht th Barnett Crossbow. The rage proved lethal as always and the deer ran about 50 yards. Just dropped him off at Kuby's for some Brats and summer sausage.
                      Last edited by kva393; 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

speaking of body size, look at this toad my neighbor got a pic of in OK.
                        Last edited by kva393; 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

We started seeming mature bucks during daylight the past 10-12 dats

Comment

I finally got a pic of a mature deer during daylight hours! And he just happens to be one of our target bucks. Was at this spot for almost an hour while I was slaving away at work….

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418228197.893843.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	24350769

Comment

Had a big bobcat encounter during my mid day sit on Sunday. Squirrels were on edge and at one point all scattered and disappeared for almost half an hour. After a few of them had returned to the area I heard and noticed something down and to my right towards the creek. It came out of some thick brush with one hop like a rabbit. Was tucked up waiting to pounce about 20 yds from the pile and the setup I was in and noticed me trying to get to my phone for some video. Looking back I should have just sat and watched it all unfold. We also saw another Bald Eagle on our way back to camp one day. This one was bigger than the one my daughter & I saw back in early Nov.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418228595.962209.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	24350771https://vimeo.com/114145547

Comment

Headed up in few hours. Just my daughter and I. Wish us luck

Comment

Working...
                                X