E Texas free range Exotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E Texas free range Exotics

Now that I have your attention, What if the TBH's were to raise money through donations, and lease holders and land owners donated food plots or an arrangement to let the animals free range. Or $ to purchase Axis or Fallow or Sika or even Black buck. For a large number of animals one type or all of the above mentioned. And stocked E Texas, maybe donation of animals to Texas Parks and Wildlife. Maybe buy habitat like DU has done. I know it is not perfect and someone will always find negatives but What If. What if it is done in a positive manner? What would survive in E Texas and what would multiply for future hunting if not for us how about our children or grandchildren. This is a site for discussion isn't it ? Passing this to you and lets see where it goes. Remember there were not whittails in Texas in 1943. They were stocked here.

1- There are already exotics running loose in East Texas. Just a matter of time before they spread.
    2- DU spends money to enhance habitat for ducks that are naturally occurring to East Texas, not on introducing new species.
    3- TPWD barely has enough money to cover native game research, much less maintaining the public hunting lands available.
    4- Have you ever visited Real County ? There are more free ranging Axis deer there than there are whitetail. Direct competition for food sources is the reason given for the decline in the whitetail numbers.
    5- Why aren't you wanting to get this done in the state you live in instead of Texas ?

And yes, there were whitetails in Texas in 1943, but not near the numbers of today.
    I'll keep the whitetails.

Comment

My state? I own more property in Texas, more than I do in Louisiana, I pay Taxes in Texas. My Adult kids were born in Texas and I guess I have always considered Texas Home. Texas has my Heart Louisiana has my Body lol.
      In my research over the past few years, I learned there were no deer in Texas in 1943and Texas brought them in to Karnack Texas and South Texas. Where the herd was monitored and then in 1961 after a big die off they were restocked and again the herd was monitored until 2008 when the money stopped and they no longer the herd. I was not aware of real country thanks for the info. as I am always learning.

Comment

There were deer in Texas before 1943 I have pictures of my grand father just outside of riverside and the trinity river bottom. Granted there were not as many as there are today and there was not a season on them. It was only legal to kill them if they were destroying your crops. Even at this you had to call the authorities and report it.

I would like to see Axis in east Texas but after hunting in junction for years they do take over the habitat. I would think that east Texas could sustain them better because of the vegetation. Good luck witht the dream. If you have extra property in east Texas to lease I'd be interested in helping you achieve your dreams. :-)

Comment

Don't want the state regulating non Native Animals on my Dime.......JMHO

Love Exotics, and have them on my place in West Texas, but have already heard they are trying to establish seasons on them etc.

Comment

Hogs are 'exotics' (not native) and look what they have done! I opt to promote the native species...and if you want an exotic, just travel to the western Hill Country/Edwards Plateau for the weekend! Good luck

Comment

No deer before 1943? I have never heard this before. Like others have said I have some old albums of deer my Grandfather killed. In all the stories I have heard him tell I have never heard that one? Not saying you are wrong just its very hard to believe!

Comment

Hunted outside Leakey for 26 years. I like them out there, east TX not so much.

No thanks.

Comment

Good luck trying to get the state to pay for stocking non native game

TPWD is stretched thinner than they need to be already and getting worse

Comment

Working...
                  X