Hypothetical Question 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical Question 3

You have a 5 year old buck in your herd that is his biggest to date. He is an exceptional trophy. It is towards the end of the rut and you notice that he has lost an eye but otherwise looks good.

Do you shoot him?

No

Comment

Very good question. I was in this same situation 2 years ago. Had a big 8 that was 5.5 in Sonora. This was the 3rd year we had seen him, and come the first of season we noticed his eye was missing. After much discussion, we let him walk one more year. The buck made it through the season, but never showed back up the following year. Sure wish I had him on my wall now.

Comment

Wanting to see a certain persons response to this one...

If you could watch him in person and see if he is completely healthy then leave him be. If hes in pain, then end it.

Comment

I'm wondering, if you shoot him and have him mounted... Are you going to put a patch over his eye?

Comment

Does he make AR and is he is in ETX?

Comment

Man that's tough one. One side of my would want kill him because his injury could affect antler growth next year. The other side would really want to pass and see him at 6.5, 7.5, and so on. I think it would be really hard for me to kill a deer of that caliber at 5.5 (unless he had matching double drops). I think he gets a pass.

Comment

If this is still the double drop tine one, yes

Comment

No, he can still grow big antlers with one eye.

Comment

Unless this person is wanting to kill him at an older age and not shoot a 5 1/2 year old, then absolutely. If this person is happy with a 5 1/2 year old, not sure that the bad eye would make a difference since its not like he will grow a new one next year.

Comment

No sir, one good eye will get the job done! From your scenarios it seems you have an intensive management program. This to me means your deer top out at 6.5 or 7.5...

Comment

he gets a pass and a manager with his fingers crossed

Comment

I would say no way I'd kill him. Why would you? Let him get older.

Comment

Leave him!

The eye injury causes him to grow a goofy antler the next year on the opposite side. Makes him less desirable to hunt but he may still be able to breed. His genetics are still there!

Comment

It has always been a dream of mine to kill a Pirate buck, so yes, i take him out!

Comment

Working...
                              X