No announcement yet.

I really want to shoot one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reality is that it takes a lot more land than most of us have to "manage" correctly. Most deer cross a fence and then it's no holds barred. The truth is we have lost the idea that hunting is supposed to be fun and to re-connect with our heritage, children, etc. If you want that deer shoot him. I never killed a deer on my place because I was trying to "manage" 600 acres. The neighbors weren't. I finally put up a fence and still haven't killed a deer, but it is well managed by my father, nephews, wounded warriors, church members, etc. But I ruined it for myself by not just enjoying what I had instead of trying to grow the biggest whitetails the state has ever seen. Now I'm on a lease 5 hours away that I don't have time to go to. Have some fun!!

Comment

Many of you all are saying to have fun, I am! I really enjoy the studies and practices of trying to, well we won't say manage, lets say improve the over all health of the total deer population. The land owner that I hunt with and on his place has said he has never seen this many deer or fawns before. So, there is some proof that things have improved. I guess I'm just realizing that until the owner and nieghbors decide they want to do more to improve the health of the deer population then I am probably getting close to maxing out on the results and should consider reaping from my efforts. Perhaps the next step would be trying to start a CO-OP or WMA with the surrounding neighbors??

Comment

Go for which ever you think is the most mature.

Comment

Pick one & let it fly! My definition of a trophy is what makes YOU happy!!

Comment

I live by the motto that if you'd mount it and display it proudly he's a shooter..

Comment

The trophy is in the eyes of the person pulling the trigger. If it makes your blood boil, your body shake, eyes blurred, chills ; well go for it. I am a biologist and I always tell the guys don't get caught up in all the hype, just enjoy the outdoors for what it has to offer. Feel good and pass it along.

Comment

shoot the first one

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                  I would shoot the 9 and walk the 10.
                  This....
                  We manage the deer So we have something to shoot.
                  The 9 would be a great deer, give the 10 another year (hopefully).

Comment

That younger one is going to be a beast in the next few years. He's got it all. Just let him age and it will be a buck of a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodyshaft View Post
                      Work with what ya got. If you aren't hunting with managment minded hunters than you are pissing in the wind trying to better the property yourself. Shoot em
                      Exactly, if the other hunters on the property aren't in the management mindset then there is no point to managing. I'd say you guys need to sit down and work on your management plan, or just shoot everything and plan on getting a new property in a few years.

Comment

Working...
                      X