No announcement yet.

Should I be feeding Creamed Corn????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sent the pics to our biologist today and he thinks he's young and sick.

The mystery continues

Hopefully I can find him again and look for small clues like his feet and his behavior.

Comment

10+

Comment

tough call on young or old

Comment

Young deer with an eating disorder. Other bucks called him fat.

Comment

Definitely old!

Honestly, this is the first deer I've ever seen that has the same shaped neck as all the taxidermists give their mounts. With the lines and definition

Comment

Deer is definitely a sick 4.5 yo. I would give him a pass until the last few weeks of the season. If he makes it through the rut sickness will most definitely wear him down. If he seems to be sluggish or is limping in the last few weeks i would put him down because he is probably on his way out. If he seems to regain strength I would let him walk and keep feeding out that protein. He has little to no scaring and does not have the facial characteristics such as a shortened nose of a really old deer.

Comment

Like others have mentioned he appears to be old at first glance. If that was the case I would expect that second to last pic to have a pair hanging way below that not too long tail. Just another clue to help piece things together.

Comment

It's pretty easy not to shoot that deer on a ranch like yours. Kick the can til next year or coyote bait. Doesn't really matter unless he's the monster youngster and lives... But that's the only way that can happen.

Comment

too bad amigo...I thought he was methuselah myself.

guess I would cross my fingers and only take him out if he showed and looked even worse / last leg.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep an eye on him and see if I can solve the puzzle for sure. I just hope he's not so sick that he disappears in the brush.

Comment

He doesn't have the Roman nose, really large brisket, and the saggy skin that usually goes with a really old deer. I'm thinking he is not doing well, but probably 4/5 yr. old

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley719 View Post
                          Better shot him before he dies of old age
                          This.

Comment

Looks more sick than old to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                              Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep an eye on him and see if I can solve the puzzle for sure. I just hope he's not so sick that he disappears in the brush.
                              That would be fear also.
                              I still say youngster.
                              There are to many characteristics of an old buck that he just doesn't have.
                              Mainly loose skin. An old deer that has lost that much weight would have a lot of loose skin due to loss of elasticity. I see none.
                              Last edited by PondPopper; 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Can you get him close enough to dart him? Not to put him down but rather to give him a shot of meds.....

Comment

Working...
                                X